Too Much Fuel? Part 2

DC_

LOL, not the fuel pressure sensor on the left (The easy one) but the one under all the hoses next to the injectors...........................................the one i nearly burned my skin off on sunday evening trying to get it off whilst the engine was roasting. :D

My prats book says RTC5089 but it may be superceded as mine only covers up to '91. A good alternative is to upgrade to a GM one, my RR has this and has been running a stoopidly powerful sports coil on this system without problems.

BTW the smear of grease nige mentions on the body should actually be heat-sink compound (like when you mount a cooling fan on your PC's CPU) also known as thermal grease. It's not critical but if you've got some it's preferable to just grease. Maplins sell little syringes of it for pennies, or I can post you one FOC.

hi just for info, although my landy is the 3.9 v8 disco i think its the same engine, i had major problems with the LPG backfiring too, so much so that it completely blew my airbox to bits.

11box.jpg

found the culprit to be a faulty Ht lead causing a nasty missfire and back fire.

:wacko:

My prats book says RTC5089 but it may be superceded as mine only covers up to '91. A good alternative is to upgrade to a GM one, my RR has this and has been running a stoopidly powerful sports coil on this system without problems.

BTW the smear of grease nige mentions on the body should actually be heat-sink compound (like when you mount a cooling fan on your PC's CPU) also known as thermal grease. It's not critical but if you've got some it's preferable to just grease. Maplins sell little syringes of it for pennies, or I can post you one FOC.

Right i will go look for that part, the upgrade you mention fridge, is it an easy task? Kind of wire i'll need to extend it from the dizzy?

i dont wanna get too carried away, just want to see if the amp is the problem and then i will be a happy chappy.

Alex, thanks for the info mate, it's only ever backfired once on LPG and all my leads have just been renewed so hopefully thats the end to that for now.

Ok part numbers i have(with the help of Spanners) got a hold of, just want to make sure they are correct.

Can anyone confirm?

STC1184 for amp

temp sender: ETC8496

washer: 243967

Ok folks,

Got the CTS in today and replaced it...................Engine is now running better but i would say it's not fully right.

It idles at around 950rpm and i let it run for about 30 mins, before it would be about ten mins gone and it would start to get very rough and cut out, then take an age to restart.

Now.................it idles ok and can run on and on and on without getting the coughing and cutting out all the time.but.............when i select a gear (auto) sometimes it'll cut out, sometimes it'll idle at around 350-400rpm.

It'll start up alot quicker now with the sensor replaced.

Do you think i need to adjust my idle speed to do away with the risk of it cutting out in a gear or could this be signs that the AMP is still needing replaced?

A slightly happier DC

DSC01600-1.jpg

Cap is after market i think but new.Leads are lucas and new, arm is lgenuine and cleaned up in the last week.

Ok, good news.

If the cap is NOT Genuine, then fit a genuine one, I have lost track of how many "Newish good cond" Non Genuine caps are hopeless !

The leads are also not fitted properly, crosses don't help, do a search I did a post a while back with a pic as to how the leads can go on, and as these are genuine they will behave according to the pic.

What age / type are the plugs, misfires kill plugs, best to fit a new set of BP6RES NGKs

Is there anyone who can check the timing for you etc ?

Nige

I will get a new pic of my leads as they are sitting at present Nige, These leads in the pic are the old ones that were shot.

The cap is not genuine although new. The plugs are new end of sep. and are NGK ones.

Timing?

I have done TDC, first piston is at top and rotor arm is about to strike number one.

I dont really have access to the light timing check.

I will get a new pic of my leads as they are sitting at present Nige, These leads in the pic are the old ones that were shot.

The cap is not genuine although new. The plugs are new end of sep. and are NGK ones.

Timing?

I have done TDC, first piston is at top and rotor arm is about to strike number one.

I dont really have access to the light timing check.

AH !

TDC is really a bit rough, you need someone with a timing light to fine tune, that may definately help a lot !

Any kindly forumers near you :huh: ?

Post up the pic of the leads

Found the other thread for you :

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...;hl=Rover+leads

Nige

I dont really know if there's saints......... eh i mean forumers near, there's a few from SLROC.co.uk that have been a help but they dont do the timing light stuff :(

Lead pic will come tomorrow.

I have put them all on and tried very hard not to cross them as i know that might cause problems, i would say the right bank of leads(from grill) are very close together due to position and small space to get through next to oil cap.

Thanks for the link. Haynes manual was followed with this one and got the other member with same engine to actually check they were hooked up in exactly the same way.

Spark plugs = i will check your part number with the ones i have as in that thread i see even a diff in NGK ones can be a prob.......................right???

Here's my leads as they are now..........................Just discovered that i have an intermotor coil so i'm off now to get my OEM one on.

Hopefully will make a little difference too.

DSC01795.jpg

DSC01796.jpg

DSC01797.jpg

Job done and all seems ok, can't really tell if there's much of a difference but i only ran it a couple of minutes.

Can anyone tell me if this is the screw(alan key type) that adjusts the idle speed?

DSC01795-1.jpg

Also if this dizzy cap is the one i am after many thanks...........dizzy cap?

Hiya,

NO

Genuine is from dealer only, it MUST be genuine, not pattern or "OEM" :(

Part number may be correct, just ring dealers and ask them if in stick, I would also suggest a new rotor arm as I have known no genuine caps muck up genuine arms :(

Yes that keyway (either allen bolt or srcewdriver) adjusts tickover

Nige

Putting non-genuine caps & rotors into the V8 is asking for trouble.

Ask 'cruiser' on the LRO forum. A pattern rotor arm finished up costing him £600 trying to find a mysterious running fault. The pattern rotor was not considered as it was new. And it was the problem.

Anyway, I thought you had got & fitted the correct parts in Part 1 of your troubles?