2.5 petrol.. starting problem

gelf

as it says really ... starts lovely when cold, but you go on a 30 minute drive then park up for 20 minutes plus........... and its a git to start.... just wont fire up until you've cranked it over for 45 seconds.

is this normal :angry:

graham

Mine has always been like this, sometimes it starts straight away other times it doesnt, if it doesnt start straight away, turn ignition off and then try starting again it catches quick and will start easier and not drain battery or wear out the starter motor.

Mine always starts in the end.

Jon

Mine was never that bad, but it was never what i'd term a "good" starter!

Only other thing I could suggest is fuel. The Weber has a habit of the fuel in the float chamber evaporating. Assuming you've got a leccy fuel pump have you tried turning the igniton on and aloowing the fuel pump to run for a few seconds before cranking? You might find this helps!

Jon

Mine was never that bad, but it was never what i'd term a "good" starter!

Only other thing I could suggest is fuel. The Weber has a habit of the fuel in the float chamber evaporating. Assuming you've got a leccy fuel pump have you tried turning the igniton on and aloowing the fuel pump to run for a few seconds before cranking? You might find this helps!

Jon

Oddly enough i have found that you have to "trick" the coil into getting its full 12 volts. I do this by cranking the engine and then momentarily let up on the cranking but not turning the key off........ the momentum created by the starter keeps the engine turning over and the momentary disruption of cranking allows the coil the full 12 volts......... It usuall "catches" ......strange but true :)