Power steering box leak

white90

my four bolt Power steering box is starting to show signs of weeping around the lower seal where the drop arm connects, other than this minor ailment it is fine.

suggestions required for the rectification of this problem, is it terminal new box time or is the seal a job that can be done reasonably?

if it is a replacement recommended suppliers?

do they get supplied with the drop arm?

Quick trip to your local halfrauds for a bottle of "power steering stop leak" (or equivalent of). They do actually seem to work very well and are alot less hassle.

If nothing else its worth spending the fiver and trying it casue its alot less hassle than a re-con box and changing it over aswell!

HTH

Jon

I have fitted a seal to a rr box but this was yonks ago. It passed the mot but i cant say if it was a long term thing or not also as i recall it was wear in the bush/bearing that the shaft spins in that had caused the seal to fail. I would replace the box if Excesssive free play can be felt . Just my thoghts though others may see a different route.!! ;)

my four bolt Power steering box is starting to show signs of weeping around the lower seal where the drop arm connects, other than this minor ailment it is fine.

suggestions required for the rectification of this problem, is it terminal new box time or is the seal a job that can be done reasonably?

if it is a replacement recommended suppliers?

do they get supplied with the drop arm?

Adwest engineering great service

£99 for a recon via paddocks. Cant comment on how good or bad they are though.

Jon

While I'm generally pretty happy with Paddocks I had one which when fitted promptly dropped all the fluid back on the road :( Its not fun to change and doing it twice is even less pleasurable though I should add in this instance a local garage fitted them for me and it was the least of the problems we faced.

'Stop leak' turned what was a steady leak into just a moist drip on my box. it stayed like that for over 6 months without using even half a tank of fluid. mr MOT man didn't like the moistness so i fitted an adwest repfurb. expensive, but great service, and peace of mind.

perhaps i should have just wiped the seal clean and thrown some mud at it :ph34r:;)

Tony,

Its one of two things.

1. Seal cheap and relatively easy fix, stuff Jon has suggested it the stuff to try, if that doesn't work change seal.

2. Other prob is its the seal that gone, but that its gone because of the shaft and bearing, not easy and definately not cheap, adwest would be my route here to, so that I don't get more "Con" rather than "Recon"

HTH

Nige

that's the route I'll follow Nige.

this ones lasted 125k so far

the recon ones available look like they have just been painted up, some with no drop arm.

Adwest remanufacture and supply unit with the drop arm so an easier install if I have to buy one.

I would try seal first as Nige suggests but take the box out to do it so you can put it in a vice and work on it comfortably, working upside down with fluid dripping in your ear just doesn't work and you will never get it all nice and clean before fitting the new seal. I've not done it first hand but seen lots done at work, they usually only fail again if the sector shaft is badly pitted or grooved and chews the new seal up, success rate is probably 80%+. Seal kit about £30 odd I think, probably another part where Genuine is the only type worth bothering with.

For some reason if you leave them leaking for a while the shaft seems to get grooved, no idea why, so best to try and fix it sooner rather than later. I've just had my Disco steering box re-sealed, seems OK at the moment, also had the old 90 done about 18 months ago, first attempt P'ed fluid everywhere, second attempt fixed it, even 2 seal kits was cheaper than buying a new box!! and the seal track on the sector shaft of that one was really, really bad but cleaned up "sort of OK" with very fine sandpaper.

The other thing to watch for is that sometimes the seal can leak because the bottom bearing collapses and so the sector shaft is waggling around in the bottom of the box. And if that happens the steering could suddenly lock up mid corner which I imagine would be quite interesting....

after going to the trouble of removing the box to try a seal I think replacment would be my prefered choice.

as it doesn't look like the best of jobs.

thanks for all the advice BTW.

leak seal first thing tomorrow, and check for free play.

after going to the trouble of removing the box to try a seal I think replacment would be my prefered choice.

if you a replacing the seal don't bother with the landrover one get one of the Zeus seals as they are far better. Landrover build leaks into their seal :)

recommended?

can't find them via google or yell.com

found western ppower steering in bristol but they don't list L/R defender boxes

Sorry Tony, that's them. They do a 24 hour refurb on any box, including collection and delivery.

Cost is a £125 plus VAT for the work, delivery costs additional - 4 bolt boxes are ok

On a slightly different note - what is the difference between a 3 bolt and a four bolt PS box? I have a 3 bolt in the garage that has been refurbed...

ay

Sorry Tony, that's them. They do a 24 hour refurb on any box, including collection and delivery.

On a slightly different note - what is the difference between a 3 bolt and a four bolt PS box? I have a 3 bolt in the garage that has been refurbed...

Thanks

3-4-6 bolt unsure in reality I think they are linked to the type of pump fitted.

If it is still the original box which I presume it is if you say it has done 125k, the internals might be getting pretty tired/slack anyway so a refurb box may be the best solution in your case if the leak stopper doesn't. My 90 only had about 60k miles on it when I had it done.

It is also probably fair to say that doing the seals "right first time" is one of those things that you get better at with regular practice which is one reason why mine get delegated to somebody else - getting the new seal in without damaging it if the sector shaft is scored is a bit of an art, and very likely to be something you wouldn't get right first time :)

I've spoken to western power steering

they'll do a 48hr turnaround.

they do a reconditioning service on your own box.

Luckily I have a mate who's offered to drop it off and collect if I go for the rebuild.

I poured some Wynns stop leak in there today and will monitor the situation for a week

if it starts weeping again, I'll go for a rebuild, or the Adwest remanufactured unit

one way I keep my original box and save a fair few ££ on postage.

the other I'm considering.

I like the idea of keeping my one and having a decent job done on it.

Western sound convincing on the phone saying all bearings/seals are replaced and shafts if damaged in anyway.