Zero Accelaration and Temp Gauge Shooting Up

DiscoFever

Stationary at major set of traffic lights after having driven 20km+. As I step on the accelerator, the disco hardly moved. I even thought I stepped on the wrong pedal. At full throttle the truck just moved and the temperature gauge shot up nearly reaching red. I stopped as soon as safe. Engine was not hot by any means and fluid definitely not low at that moment.

NOTE: Fuel alert was on for about 5kms, but I have driven my TD5 looking for petrol stations much further than that. After 5 minutes, I started the truck and it was perfect again (I know I shouldn't have turned it off). This is the first time it's happened. She's in pretty good knick - just had it's 100km service.

What could have been the problem?

I had similiar prob on my last 300tdi with the edc engine and it had overheated causing the engine to go into limp home mode ie no go, let it cool and it was fine, poxy elec cooling fan!.

My current TD5 has ran out of fuel just after the fuel light came on and the pump filters in the tank were blocked with crud, theres 2 filters a crude one on the swirl pot and a fine one on the bottom of the pump and it was this that was blocked.

Before this mine would do at least 40miles with the light on.

Now carry 10 litres all the time.

Lynall