We will remember them.

Happyoldgit

They mingle not with their laughing comrades again;
They sit no more at familiar tables of home;
They have no lot in our labour of the day-time;
They sleep beyond England's foam.

lot less people at the memorial today as here in the west it was very wet and windy, some of the older people cant make it in such weather.

• 1 year later...

My mum is from a military background, she grew up in quarters as her dad was a pilot, he flew sunderlands out east in the war and survived, his brothers were in the navy and weren't so lucky. Although I wouldn't consider her a military person and wouldn't have liked me to join the forces (but wouldn't have stopped me either, I applied at 18 but was unsucessful) there have always been a few things that she imparted on me from her upbringing. The ones that spring to mind are getting the union jack the right way around and the firm belief that a man can offer no more to his country than his life. How they did what they did is beyond my comprehension. 

Edited by Cynic-al
  • Like 1

I've been away from home for a few days but managed to attend a Memorial Day service in another rural town.  I was delighted to see quite a large crowd of adults, but also many children, from babes in arms upwards.  Every local primary and secondary school was represented by pupils, and each laid a wreath at the cenotaph.  The local youth ice hockey team attended as did the junior soft ball team.  In the procession there was a 92 year old veteran, still marching at 92!  At the start of the service a lady soloist sang "O Canada", the Canadian national anthem, and at the end of the service she sang "God save the Queen".  There was a live brass band, and a solo trumpeter played the "Last Post".  All in all, it was a lovely and moving ceremony.  No, we shall not forget, and the reasons for remembrance are being well instilled into the younger generations here, in BC.

Mike

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Yesterday, I attended a commemoration service and was very disappointed that it was very blatently Christian biased.  The service totally ignored the many other ethnic groups of diverse religions that joined the Allies during WW1 and WW2.  Millions from the Indian sub-continent, many of whom were Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus, served with the British army.  There were also many aboriginal americans, First Nation members, as they are termed in Canada, who served with distinction.  Their contribution seemed to be totally ignored.  Our "todays" owe much to others than the "white faces" who gave their "tomorrows" for us.  Let us not forget any who served and specially any who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Mike

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

I was happy to see that the contributions of First Nations veterans were well highlighted at the Remembrance Day observance that I attended. WW1 veterans were a focus for Mi'kmaq Heritage Month this past October in Nova Scotia.

I am always impressed by the numbers of young people I see wearing poppies and participating in ceremonies and how seriously it is taken in our schools.

Lest we Forget.

MHM-poster-2018-English-Large.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...