We will remember them.

Happyoldgit

I played Reveille at the Cenotaph in 1967 along with 11 other RAF apprentice trumpeters. The RM buglers played Last Post. All very moving, if a bit cold to be standing about for a couple of hours. We amused ourselves by watching the Guards faint.

Reveille and Last Post make all the hairs on my neck and arms stand up and go all goose bumpy. Very strange. Doesn't matter where I hear it. Very poignent tunes.

After watching the Cenotaph Parade on Sun it seems that a few groups have said it's the last time they'll be taking part in the march past. Very sad if it's true

Reveille and Last Post make all the hairs on my neck and arms stand up and go all goose bumpy. Very strange. Doesn't matter where I hear it. Very poignent tunes.

A very good friend of the family was a Marine Commando during the war and into the 50's. When he died a few years ago, we made enquiries with the RM Band at HMS Nelson asking if there was any chance we could "borrow" a bugler (sp?) for the funeral. They said they couldn't guarantee anything as they were only due back in the country the day before the funeral. However, when we got there there was a RSM (I think) and a Corporal and they had even brought a Union Flag to drape over the coffin. Last Post was played at the end of the service, and I can tell you, in the little room at the crematorium that doesn't half make the hairs stand up - very emotional.

R.I.P Jock.

As we remembered all the men and women who died for this and other countries throughout the world, another little chap entered my life, Robert Jamie Kevin Smith was born at 11.55pm.

If he is anything like his dad and uncle he will be a fine upstanding Englishman proud of his heritage and what others have done for him even though they never knew him.

I am so chuffed he waited for such a special day to join us.

• 11 months later...

Even more poignant this year..............written with Lyneham in mind........:(

The leviathan of the sky does land

In England's green and pleasant land.

Its cargo more precious than gold

The body of a hero, bold.

Once the giant's engines stopped

The cargo ramp is gently dropped

Carried by six on shoulders true

The hero is saluted by the crew.

The coffin draped in Union Jack

Is slowly carried out the back.

Out of the dark and into light

Slowly down the ramp and to the right.

The six approach the hearse all black

And place the hero gently in the back.

The six then turn and march away

Their duty has been done this day.

Politicians usually have much to say

No sign of them near here this day.

They hide away and out of danger,

Much easier if the hero is a stranger.

The hearse with its precious load

Moves slowly out onto the road.

The floral tributes line the route

While comrades snap a smart salute.

At the edge of a Wiltshire town

The cortege slows its pace right down.

The streets are packed, many deep,

Some throw flowers, most just weep.

The crowd have come to say farewell,

The church bell rings a low death knell.

Regimental standards are lowered down

As the hero passed through the town.

The cortege stops and silence reigns

The townsfolk feel the family's pain.

The nations' flag lowered to half mast

Our brave hero is home at last.

Wear your poppy with pride Gents...

• 1 year later...

We will remember them.

It is a shame so many young boys are having to grow up so fast in Afghan at the moment. THey leave the UK young and fresh faced and come back older beyond their years after seeing more horrors in 6 months than anyone should see in a lifetime.

To them I am eternally thankful

after having served in both gulf wars and various other conflicts around the world,some of which a lot of people never even knew went on,i give grace to the fact that i/we are alive due to the loss of such brave persons of the Airforce/Army/Navy.

They will and never should be forgotten.

Or the alcoholic soldier with a shattered mind

Who takes the suicide option for some peace to find.

Well, that’s my victory but no one knows

For its deep in my mind where nobody goes.

We will remember them, and we must. We also must remember those who have come back from all the corners of the world we have fought in who might not bear a mark but who will never be able to escape the memories they came back with.

Many thanks to the Happy old git for starting this post, I am an ex serving soldier (I'm ex 3 para) and I am currently out in Afghanistan working trying to help rebuild this horrible place,it makes me proud to think people still take the time to pay they're respects by either going to the remembrance parade or by stopping what they're doing for 2 minutes silence, I have to agree that the younger generation have no idea of the sacrifices that have been paid by the many in all wars, Someone put earlier on about the young men the go to Afghanistan fresh faced and come back older beyond they're years-No one should have to go through what they go through on a daily basis,Please lets keep paying our respects to those that serve and remember those that don't come back.

We will remember them.

John

At work the fire alarm was beeped to signify 11.00 for a minute silence (I usually do 2minutes) and as the room fell silent there were two people chatting and laughing until one said 'Oh ****! It's that minute silence thing!', then the room was silent.

At the next beep the same person said '****, I forgot!'.

:angry:

To me the whole point is that we don't forget, even when the last living memory has past on we will still remember.

Remembrance_Day___Poppy_Day_by_daliscar.jpg