2.25 petrol, exhaust valve burned

Betsy

My 2.25 was fitted with hardened valve seats a few years ago, and the engine bottom end rebuilt 3 yrs ago. It has been running perfectly on unleaded until now.

I just did a 3500 mile trip to Morocco and back, a lot of it was spent on motorways at 55mph. The car seemed to cope easily. Towards the end of the trip, I was aware of more fumes than normal from the engine, especially when the engine was on over-run. She also seemed to be idling on 3 cylinders, but once up to speed drove pretty well, but down on power slightly.

I did a compression test, and 1, 3 and 4 were 145 psi, 2 was 60 psi. So yesterday I lifted the head off. The composite gasket showed no signs of leakage, the exhaust flange gasket had a slight leak on 1 and 4 cylinders.

I turned the head upside down, and filled the combustion chambers with petrol. 1, 3 and 4 were perfect and held the petrol with no leakage. Number 2 just peed out through the exhaust port. The exhaust valve was obviously not round and is 100% sure to be the cause of the rough idle.

However, what can cause this to happen? do hardened seats have a detrimental affect on the valves themselves? why only 1 cylinder? the others are perfect with no pitting at all.

Its an easy fix, but I am just wondering if there are any other experiences of prolonged use at motorway speeds with unleaded fuel in an engine with hardened seats fitted, and is there something I am missing that could have caused this.

It may of course just be old age.

• 12 years later...