tunning a 2.8 tgv

andylandy

Jules, I've heard a bit more about this engine now but I still don't know much (I think we'll have to wait until Andy's finished playing in the Jungle before we get the full story :D ) but apparently the engine's sitting in the Bowler Wildcat that was on one of the stands at Billing. I'm a bit unsure about the figures, hopefully I'll be able to give you some figures from mine soon.

You've also got a PM

The Wildcat in question gave 380 lb/ft of torque. Apparently an article in TOR is on it's way. Still impressive for a 2.8 diesel, but at £5K plus the tuning you could buy an awful lot of petrol Chevy.

To follow on from Jezs point on dyno figures. When I had my engine dynoed the chap said that quoted figures were often inflated by incorrect atmospheric conditions being programmed into the dyno. He related a tale where he demonstrated some American figures were inflated by 15%. He checked their quoted atmospheric figures against those of a nearby airport on the test date and reran the figures through at the correct calibration. I would have thought that calculating flywheel power from rolling road figures allows even greater margins of error

The Wildcat in question gave 380 lb/ft of torque. Apparently an article in TOR is on it's way. Still impressive for a 2.8 diesel, but at £5K plus the tuning you could buy an awful lot of petrol Chevy.

To follow on from Jezs point on dyno figures. When I had my engine dynoed the chap said that quoted figures were often inflated by incorrect atmospheric conditions being programmed into the dyno. He related a tale where he demonstrated some American figures were inflated by 15%. He checked their quoted atmospheric figures against those of a nearby airport on the test date and reran the figures through at the correct calibration. I would have thought that calculating flywheel power from rolling road figures allows even greater margins of error

Ah, that's more like what I was expecting! 380's a very nice figure for a small capacity engine.

Jez, no, the bearings aren't watercooled. I'm not sure If I'll need them as I'm not running max power/boost for long periods.

still weighing up if its worth sticking a VGT on an Isuzu :huh:

Jez, Yes, I think you should & then let the rest of us know the pit falls :D:D:P , joking aside, seeing as the 2.8 Isuzu & the 2.8 International TGV share almost identical bore & stroke, I can't see why equally impressive results shouldn't be obtained. Wish I could remember the model Garret turbo that the 2.8 TGV runs.

ATB Steve.

I would have thought that calculating flywheel power from rolling road figures allows even greater margins of error

Yup, it could not really be called objective, too many assumptions have to be made. The only figures you can take for real are if you rolling road the unit before modification and then compare the difference.

I have a GTECH performance meter that claims to be able to be able to "calculate" the flywheel figure using inertial measuring techinques, haven't had a chance to play with it yet but it will be interesting to compare with the rolling road figures I have.

At this point, I'll plug my GPS-based technique again. The more I play with it, the more interesting the results are. I've just got to find a quiet road and some time to start messing with some variables on the engine.

Will (Warne) - would you like to "GPS" your engine before and after the tuning?

Steve - its tempting but its a £700 punt just for an experiment, let me get finished whats currently under build and I'll give it a go later in the spring. Im a big fan of drive (as opposed to peak) engines and what concerns me at the mo is the low end hit and then run out of steam curve that the VGT seems to give, I want to see what Roland gets out of the one at ACR :ph34r:

Hows you getting on with the bits and bobs collecting? fancy building the first southern hemisphere "hamburger"? ping me a pm mate and I'll send you a piccy ;)

At this point, I'll plug my GPS-based technique again. The more I play with it, the more interesting the results are. I've just got to find a quiet road and some time to start messing with some variables on the engine.

Will (Warne) - would you like to "GPS" your engine before and after the tuning?

TC, I can do although I'll have a full before and after dyno readout too :D

Will

I'm thinking of going JAP they have a 3.2D which can produce with the correct tweeks 2-300 bhp and 760 fb in a much lighter truck with stronger from box axles. and Lockers from the factory

I see you and I raise you (in about 12months)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jules

Will

I'm thinking of going JAP they have a 3.2D which can produce with the correct tweeks 2-300 bhp and 760 fb in a much lighter truck with stronger from box axles. and Lockers from the factory

I see you and I raise you (in about 12months)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jules

Who's engine's that? The torque figures must be in Nm, though (still bl**dy impressive at about 550 lb/ft :o ). With that sort of setup you'll need D60s or Mog axles; even with well fettled Toyota axles you'll be sailing close to the wind. I can't wait to see it, though :D

Who's engine's that? The torque figures must be in Nm, though (still bl**dy impressive at about 550 lb/ft :o ). With that sort of setup you'll need D60s or Mog axles; even with well fettled Toyota axles you'll be sailing close to the wind. I can't wait to see it, though :D

No lb/ft

but engine not avalible in the UK modle

Your not even close

Ford?

Mog 404s and Lappies will cope, TLC 80s will do it but only just. Ive got a friend with 750ft/lbs cummins in his truck and U15 axles and 44's with no hassles but its F$£kin heavy

nice numbers Jules - spill the beans mister? :D

Next time you're passing stop in - a lots changed in a very short space of time :huh:

Very light truck so I'm hoping the strenth will do

but it uses race engine tecnoligy but as standard has masive power output.

The BMW 3.0 common rail has loads of power output standard and load if you start to push them.

Is the 2.8 the Iveco lump rebaged

TC, I can do although I'll have a full before and after dyno readout too

As Mark says, an ideal test really - it'll be interesting to see if I get the same %age improvement as the rolling road... then it's up to you to decide which is really true! Have you got a PC/PocketPC based GPS unit?

No lb/ft

but engine not avalible in the UK modle

Your not even close

sorry I stand corrected it is Nm.

Driving off a crest and down a hill I could not work out if the car was jumping and falling of powering down the hill. its that powerful and thats in a 2.7t shell the modle I'm looking at is half that.

As Mark says, an ideal test really - it'll be interesting to see if I get the same %age improvement as the rolling road... then it's up to you to decide which is really true! Have you got a PC/PocketPC based GPS unit?

TC, I can sort something out however it won't be a great curve as I'll probably do the recordings locked in 3rd gear so the torque convertor won't be locked up.