Early Ninety fusebox

Every time I switch the headlights on (or the interior light, wipers, change dip to full beam etc) I'm never sure the requisite piece of equipment is going to work without giving the fuse a wiggle. Dip beam is a particular problem, the fuse just gets hot instead of lighting the headlight. One brief and finger-searing wiggle later, it works again.

It's obvious to me that the fusebox is going quietly rusty but how do I clean up all those little fuse holder clips? Or is this a good time to rip it out and go for something that'll take sensible-sized blade fuses instead of the LR glass ones which are 90% of the size of the ones I can buy in Halfords?

Every time I switch the headlights on (or the interior light, wipers, change dip to full beam etc) I'm never sure the requisite piece of equipment is going to work without giving the fuse a wiggle. Dip beam is a particular problem, the fuse just gets hot instead of lighting the headlight. One brief and finger-searing wiggle later, it works again.

It's obvious to me that the fusebox is going quietly rusty but how do I clean up all those little fuse holder clips? Or is this a good time to rip it out and go for something that'll take sensible-sized blade fuses instead of the LR glass ones which are 90% of the size of the ones I can buy in Halfords?

Get rid of the glass fuses and go for a blade type box. I did this with my old 110. It sorted out a few electrical problems. I got the fuse holders from Vehicle Wiring Products.

Dave

Guest diesel_jim
Get rid of the glass fuses and go for a blade type box. I did this with my old 110. It sorted out a few electrical problems. I got the fuse holders from Vehicle Wiring Products.

Dave

I agree, those glass fuses are cr@p, best thing to do is get the blade type. my old 110 V8 had the glass type and they'de always fall out!

I agree, those glass fuses are cr@p, best thing to do is get the blade type. my old 110 V8 had the glass type and they'de always fall out!

I think its as Ralph pointed out, a bad connection where the fuses "push in" I can't see how the glass fuses can be at fault.........they are either not "blown or " not blown" as the case may be.............

I have found a propritary electrical contact cleaner, ie: carbon remover....works wonders.......... :)

Had the same on my 110.

Bought a later fuse panel at Sodbury with the wires hacked off.

Soldered & sleeved the original wires to the new ones (like for like in terms of colour). All problems went away and never came back.

Si