109 military chassis

bazz

Hi,

some facts:

yesterday i bought a rocksolid series military 109 chassis for 150 euro's. I also got a as new series bulkhead and radiator panel.

The current chassis from my 109 restoration project is rotten, starting just behind the last outriggers all the way towards the rear, rear spring hangers. The front part however is still very good.

The military chassis has no registration papers.

the current chassis is modified to fit my j12, 2.5 Diesel.

questions:

are there many differences besides the bumperettes and the gearbox crossmember? e.g. will a stawag body fit on both without too much problems? i can't really measure yet, since i still have to fetch the chassis.

I was thinking to take the military chassis and replace the right front leg (coming from my current) starting just behind the bulkhead outrigger all the way to the front bumper.

This way i will still have my chassis number, and my modified engine mounts put into the new chassis.

Would this be a smart option or would this be stupid?

Bas

Assuming it is a UK spec MOD chassis then it differs quite a bit to the civy one.

The front spring mounts (F&R) are longer to match with the longer spring hangers, the gearbox crossmember should be removable and has a notch in it to allow for the steeper angle of the propshaft, the rear crossmember will be the MOD type with square ends and it should have mountings for a fuel-tank under each seat.

The front chassis leg that you intend swoping over is one of the areas where they differ so you may want to look at it again when you have picked up the new chassis.

Assuming it is a UK spec MOD chassis then it differs quite a bit to the civy one.

The front spring mounts (F&R) are longer to match with the longer spring hangers, the gearbox crossmember should be removable and has a notch in it to allow for the steeper angle of the propshaft, the rear crossmember will be the MOD type with square ends and it should have mountings for a fuel-tank under each seat.

The front chassis leg that you intend swoping over is one of the areas where they differ so you may want to look at it again when you have picked up the new chassis.

The MOD chassis has extended front hangers, but these should have two sets of holes in each so you can use either standard or extended shackles.

I wouldn't swap the leg over just to change the chassis number.

If it's a non-CSW chassis then it is not a straight replacement for a CSW chassis, there are quite a lot of bits in different places - already mentioned is the fact the MOD chassis have under-seat tanks and mounting a normal CSW rear tank would need extra brackets.

My chassis is an MOD non-CSW one that now has a CSW body on it, which was also cheap on ebay :P so it can be done. I would keep hold of your old chassis to take measurements / copy brackets or even cut the required bits off if they are not too rusty.

How different is the J12 2.5 diesel mounting from that of a 2.25 petrol engine ?

Do the 2.25 petrol & diesel have different mountings?

I noticed the extra riggers for the gas tanks under the seats but i guess they can stay where they are right?

The brackets for the rear gas tank i can get from my old chassis.

I was thinking about swapping a larger piece because i thought that welding just around the chassis nr would look suspicious during the dutch MOT & registration checks.

Bas