Waxoyling

There's no secret to doing this and in my opinion certainly no need to spend large wads of cash to get someone else to do – as long as you don’t mind getting a bit grubby that is. Over the years I suppose I've gained quite a bit of experience Waxoyling many of my own Land Rovers (of all types, both ancient and modern) plus other modern / classic vehicles that have passed through my hands but also vehicles belonging to others too. So, without further ado (and without wishing to teach anyone how to suck eggs) here is……..

Miserableolgit's old family Waxoyling recipe:

Ingredients:

*1 x Vehicle to be Waxoyled.

*5L x Black Waxoyl.

*5L x Standard Waxoyl.

*5L x Degreaser.

*10L x White Spirit.

Bear in mind that Waxoyl and White Spirit are highly inflammable!

Equipment:

*Compressor.

*Schutz / underseal gun + cavity extension probe + empty Schutz / Panel Guard type canister.

*(or Waxoyl hand applicator / sprayer if you do not have access to the above).

*Ramps or jack & axle stands.

*Large sheet plastic.

*Wire brush.

*Supply of rags / wipes.

Attire:

*Old clothes, overalls, hat & facemask - essential for that stylish ‘Well Waxoyled man about town look’. Alternatively, if you prefer the police forensic scientist look, use one of the excellent all in one hooded disposable coveralls.

Preparation:

*Take the vehicle of your choice, thoroughly clean the chassis, running gear and undersides using a proprietary degreaser and pressure washer. You may need to carry out this operation more than once depending on what state of cleanliness / decay your vehicle is in.

*Allow vehicle to dry thoroughly, I usually allow at least several days. In the meantime if you must use the vehicle avoid soiling it again at all costs!

*Inspect underside of vehicle, remove any loose rust and carry out repairs if required.

Method:

*Choose a warm, dry day – or use a warm, well-ventilated workshop. Application is only as messy as you make it so dress accordingly!

*Position vehicle on ramps. Handbrake on, in gear & chock wheels. Alternatively jack one axle and support on axle stands. The latter method allows removal of roadwheels but if this is done I cover the hubs & brakes with a couple of supermarket carrier bags to prevent Waxoyl getting on the brakes.

*Spread plastic sheet under vehicle.

*Using White Spirit thin standard Waxoyl to consistency of something like…. let’s say runny salad cream, and fill the Schutz / underseal gun (cheap ones available at Machine Mart for just over a tenner www.machinemart.co.uk – order code 000512020). Note : You will need an empty Schutz / Panel Guard canister for the gun. Alternatively you can use Waxoyl that comes in Schutz gun type cartridges.

*Fit extension probe & connect gun to compressor.

Cavities etc:

*Test spray pattern and regulate pressure accordingly.

*Insert the extension probe fully into every conceivable body & chassis cavity and spray whilst pulling and pushing the probe back and forth several times. I don’t think I need to list all the places that need attention but suffice to say that most Land Rover chassis have enough holes to gain access with the probe without the need to drill any new ones although it may take some wiggling to get the probe to run along inside the chassis legs and some holes may require opening up slightly. Things like the bulkhead on a Series / Defender can be accessed via hinge screws and the open end of the channel underneath. Access to Discovery and Range Rover cavities can be done in similar fashion and I’ve found usually without the need to drill any holes. To gain access to the inside of cavities think laterally - use openings behind trim panels, remove lock screws, bolts, seatbelt bolts etc etc.

Undersides / chassis etc:

*Mask / cover anything that you do not want to Waxoyl – exhaust, brakes etc - do I really need to list them all?

*Thin Waxoyl with white spirit (black Waxoyl looks nice on chassis etc but it’s purely personal choice).

*Remove gun extension & fit spray nozzle, load with Waxoyl, test and regulate.

*Get under vehicle and get spraying! I prefer to work from the back to the front and when completed I’ll then swap and if applicable I put the front of the vehicle on ramps / axle stands etc and work back the other way. Work slowly and methodically spraying into every nook and cranny from all angles.

*When you’ve finished …get back under and check again as I’ll guarantee that you will spot areas that you missed.

*Remove all masking & allow the vehicle too ‘drip dry’ and for the White Spirit to evaporate off.

*Start engine and allow to warm.

! Bear in mind that Waxoyl and White Spirit are highly inflammable so I always take the necessary precaution of standing by with a fire extinguisher etc…. just in case.

*Stand-back and admire your handiwork. Invite the neighbours around to gaze in amazement at your achievement. Have a beer. Take photos and post them together with smug comments on various Land Rover Forums

Notes:

*The same sort of results can often be had with the little Waxoyl spray kits although the job obviously takes longer and is more work due to the physical effort of pumping of the sometimes unreliable equipment.

*I found thinning the Waxoyl to the desired consistency to be far more effective than warming as I found a far more even coating is achieved, coverage is better plus the Waxoyl mists and flows far more readily inside cavities.

*Preparation is the keyword.

*Again - be warned - the materials involved are highly inflammable so take precautions!

*Remember usual safety procedures with vehicles supported on ramps / using jacks + axle stands & working underneath vehicles.

*I find it good policy to relube things like propshafts etc following external degreasing / power washing.

*Do remember to protect components that you do not want covered in sticky, slippery wax.

*I also Waxoyl in and around the engine bay, battery box etc.

This is not a definitive guide! This is the way I’ve done vehicles for a good number of years and I take no responsibility whatsoever if someone or their vehicle comes a cropper for taking my word as gospel.

© Miserableolgit. SCP 2005.

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy