Home made bumpers?

stuntman

Hello one and all,

After an eventful weekend of denting the front of my car I thought I'd look at the possibilities of upgrading my bumpers.

Has anyone made their own heavy duty front and rear bumpers? And do you have any pics or dimensions, any help would be gratly appreciated!

Thanks in advance from a newbie

Andi K

Oh and it's for a Disco 1 200 tdi :lol:

Hello one and all,

After an eventful weekend of denting the front of my car I thought I'd look at the possibilities of upgrading my bumpers.

Has anyone made their own heavy duty front and rear bumpers? And do you have any pics or dimensions, any help would be gratly appreciated!

Thanks in advance from a newbie

Andi K

Oh and it's for a Disco 1 200 tdi :lol:

Homemade front bumper on a Disco 300 V8, don't know if you intend to have a winch, but if you measure between the chassis rails you'll find that a Warn X9 will just fit in, so I basically got a large section of angle, 200x200,(thank you work) trimmed it to suit the winch, cut a slot to take the fairlead, welded on side lugs to act as gusset plates and mount back to the chassis, I remember that the dimensions were so tight that I had to use 6mm plate for the inside of the chassis so I used twelvemm plate on the outside to give me the strength back, then I cut two pieces of fivemm plate and got them folded to form the outside sections, I tapered mine slightly, but all individual taste, couple of end plates welded on and then triangulated back from the outside of the bumper back to where the diff gard bolts on, strong as ****.

I'd post photos, but as a total computer dunce don't know how, but if you want I could e-mail you some photos.

Cheers Bill

Oh yes, had to reposition the oil cooler and reroute the oil pipes as the winch sits right back, so I've got about the same approach angle as a Defender now, next its the rear end to be attacked, I have plans, but work just don't know it yet.

Excellent, thanks everyone, has any else done one? Any pictures would be greatly appreciated, I will be starting to look properly at this after next weekend, I've just discovered how bad my floor is (well I say floor, the sound proofing was all that was holding the carpet up :o !)

So as soon as that's cleared up I'll be starting, so what would be the thinking for this? Shall I go box section in the middle, then taper down to the corners and then fold arounf the sides? What is the best thickness to go for? Sorry for being a bit of a thicky twin, I' new ^_^ , I know I can't use that excuse for ever but I'll milk it while I can!

Thanks everyone

Andi K

The main bumper is a length of 40*80 box about 2mm wall. A small V is cut through 3 sides in 3 positions and the thing is bent back together and re welded. The original mounts are welded on in the appropriate place and the bit between the mounts strengthened with some 8mm angle (also cut and bent.). The original mountings are uprated by welding on a 4mm plate to the inside mount and bracing the whole thing with the bit of horizontal box (which conveniently doubles as a highlift jacking point - I planned it that way honest :D ). I added in some triangular sections of plate on the wings and some plate below the centre part to add strength and to add some visual bulk. There are also som extra bits of flat bar triangulated into the back to brace it and the wrap round sides are braced in too. I deliberately added the side in as I find the open sided ones look a bit bare (read silly).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looking good, im thinking about making some myself rather thn shell out the best part of 500 notes!

Im thinking ill be able to get a welder and the box sections and plate for that sort of price.

What welder did you use to that? Ive got a sip 130 but its just carp!

Used our big Mig welder at work (not sure exactly what size but its BIG!), needed plenty of amps to get a good weld.