Castor Correction Bushes?

RPR

Having put 2+" springs on the new (to me) Disco, there is definitely some increased castor related wander, despite my thinking that the winch and second battery would sit it down enough for this not to be the case. Is there anything to "castor correcting" bushes, or is it hype? Since I have never heard resounding endorsements for any polybushes (and have never used anything but standard rubber jobbies), if there is something to be said for castor correction bushes, is there any make that seems more flexible and closer to standard than others?

Thanks.

Below is the vehicle in question:

IMG_1030_edited.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

I only know 2 people who have ever bought them...

1/ Sold them before fitting them and put the money towards some cranked arms

2/ Fitted them and said that they did seem to have corrected the castor but then did the usual poly thing and only lasted 5 minutes because he actually expected them to work at full articulation :lol: A foolish though not uncommon misconception of using poly rather them OEM bushes. :wacko::wacko:

David

Can you live with the wander?

If you correc tthe caster using bushes or cranked arms you'll increase the chance od prop vibration and then your into double cardon props and more expense.

If you really feel you must correct it getting the swivels slotted is probably the best route to take.

Hi Richard....long time & all that.

Are you sure that it's castor related? Them tyres look mighty tall and could give the impression of wander?

Another point...non-related. I note you have a steel rim as the spare and alloys on the car. If you have to swap one over you'll need the correct wheel nuts to secure each one.

Regards.

S.

Instead of wasting time with castor correction bushes, have you considered "clocking" your swivels? Remove them, mark the standard bolt holes, weld them up and mark new holes 3-6 degrees around. This rotates the swivels rearwards and makes for a etter job than slotting the holes which has been marketed in Australia. For a 2" lift you would only need 3 degrees.

Having put 2+" springs on the new (to me) Disco, there is definitely some increased castor related wander, despite my thinking that the winch and second battery would sit it down enough for this not to be the case. Is there anything to "castor correcting" bushes, or is it hype? Since I have never heard resounding endorsements for any polybushes (and have never used anything but standard rubber jobbies), if there is something to be said for castor correction bushes, is there any make that seems more flexible and closer to standard than others?

Thanks.

Below is the vehicle in question:

IMG_1030_edited.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

Richard,

Definitely not snake oil, but I guess its all in the quality of the bush …………….

The offset correction bushes do their job OK of rotating the axle back to its correct position, thus correcting the castor angle ……………….

The only ones I have any experience of are superpro, and the quality is excellent and they have a 3 year 60K warranty ………….. I have seen them used very successfully on both Land Cruiser (VX) and LandRover ………….. however, they are not cheap ……….. you are looking at slightly less then 50% of the cost of correction radius arms ……………

http://www.superpro.eu.com/

:)

Ian

Richard,

Definitely not snake oil, but I guess its all in the quality of the bush …………….

The offset correction bushes do their job OK of rotating the axle back to its correct position, thus correcting the castor angle ……………….

The only ones I have any experience of are superpro, and the quality is excellent and they have a 3 year 60K warranty ………….. I have seen them used very successfully on both Land Cruiser (VX) and LandRover ………….. however, they are not cheap ……….. you are looking at slightly less then 50% of the cost of correction radius arms ……………

http://www.superpro.eu.com/

:)

Ian

Another thing to consider Ian is that Bushes will wear out. Rotating the swivels should be a perminant fix to the problem.

If the truck is wandering - I would look at worn bushes first.

If it's lack of self-centering of the steering wheel - look at your toe-in / out.

If neither of these fix the problem then look at castor correction. However, it's unlikely to be necessary for a 2" lift.

Although you get more tyre wear, increasing the toe in/out a little can make the steering fell a lot more positive.

Si

• 3 years later...
We built a jig for clocking landy swivels, its nice and simple - turns it back into a car instead of a shopping trolley.

Do you have some more details on this please?