'kin pulley!!!

Exmoor Beast

just been setting about the P gasket on our 300tdi Disco.

After a right fiasco involving a flat battery, a busy narrow road, some cheap jumpleads and a toolkit spread out between three cars I have got as far as removing the hoses and loosening all but one of the pulley bolts and putting holes in four sets of gloves.

The last pulley bolt just won't budge and I am terrified of rounding the blighter off so I have WD40'd if and come in for a cuppa.

Any suggestions how to get it off?

Will :(

Not sure Chris, I can't stretch this tea break much longer so I had better go and lie in a puddle and have a look :(

nice bit of latteral thinking mate, I was blindly following Les' P Gasket thread ;)

err ah the suns gone in....maybe just one more top up seeing theres still some in the pot ;)

Will :)

Too late now, but I always slacken any pulley bolts while the belt is still on it so that it helps keep everything still. You can even use pressure with a pry bar or similar to lock it right up. If the 13mm? nut is about to round off then knock a 1/2" socket on it as it's slightly smaller. With 10mm head bolts knock a 3/8" socket on. If you have an oil filter strap or chain wrench, you might be able to grip the pulley with it. Failing that - a sharp chisel on the head of the bolt and a few sharp whacks with a hammer normally releases it.

Les.

Not too late Les, I kept the belt on but stopping the pulley turning is darned awkward.

I am off back out later to give it some heat and will try a 3/8.

With the amount of distractions I am getting I have nearly wasted a whole day :(

Not sure whether to put the match to the gas torch or the car at the moment ;)

The way I fixed a similar problem in removing the last pulley bolt was to re-fit all the bolts on the pulley, and use one of those to brace against while trying to crack the last bolt.

of course doing this meant that the freshly re-inserted bolt I'd used to brace against was now also firmly wedged in, but not as difficult as before.

Does that make sense :blink:

Arrgghh, well thats it well rounded off now, fustration gets you nowhere does it.

What an infuriating day, on top aff this damned irritating bolt I have had countless morons chipping in as they pass, some twerp turn up to interview me for a magazine article I had completely forgotten about, been late to look at a new job because I had forgotten about it, had three people come to see me about our local paper that I help run. ARRGGHH, now its time to get the kids, walk the dogs, feed the kids by which time it will be very dark....and no doubt colder.

Hammer and chisel next...

Will :(

Thats looking like my next move Mo :(

Rains heading in today as well, FFS I hate this Discovery with a passion. The carp engine rebuild has really been a pain, the damn thing just won't hold water or oil in it for more than two minutes, core plugs, gaskets you name it its leaked. Its a shame because the suspension works superbly offroad, the gearboxes are sweet and the BFG ATs are the dogs doodahs.

Well, off to get the kids to school then see if the nights WD40 has loosened it before stripping out the radiator and dusting off the angle grinder :(

Have you tried these? Made by IRWIN and sold by Screwfix (I got mine from Mole Valley Farmers)

p2608741_l.jpg

Basically sockets with curved blade edges inside- knock them one with a hammer and then the harder you twist them the harder they bite into rounded off both heads etc to undo them... I have used them numerous times to good effect.

Shrek

Will,

When I did mine, I snapped a bolt off but once I got the housing off found that it was because the shank had corroded but the threads in the block were okay. It came out easily with Mole Grips... Hope yours are the same, good luck!

Right, progress.

Look at the feckin' state of this! When we bought the Discovery about 18months ago the engine had been rebuilt by a Barnstaple firm.

Of the bolts holding the water pump/alternator/PAS pump alloy casting 2 were snapped and just popped back in the holes and one (behind the tensioner) was snapped off and missing altogether!!

P.jpg

Looks like the two that go through the water pump will tap round with plenty of WD40, not sure about the one behind the tensioner <_<

Might be due a good flush through as well do we think :o

Ho Hum...