P38a ICE

Exmoor Beast

Hi Will

Have a read of this, and do a search on www.rangerovers.net forum..

As you may have figured out, i am certainly not an expert on everything, but i do know radios.

First: DO NOT replace the speakers and amps or cut anything! The speakers and amps are incredibly high quality and are held back by the headunit. If you do want to change the speakers to gain any real improvement, you will have to spend about 300-400$ perset on bostons, dynaudio, focals etc. Infinities and alpines will not cut it. want proof, look for the amps, the amp on your model is an A/D/S anyone who knows anything about high end car audio knows A/D/S is problably one of the top amps made, even it is a low model, A/D/S is right under mcintosh amps.

2 Replace the Headunit. I will outline below what you will need to do to keep the system banging at full capability.

1st) Get a wire harness for an amplified LR system. you can find them at autotoys.com. here is the one i use.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/LAND_ROV...EMS_p_2676.html

2nd) you will need a matching CD- Changer for the new headunit. it won't cost too much, try to get the highest end one if you are an offroader, many of the uprated models have better antiskip position, this can drop right into the old spot if it is a 6 changer. (i have found no way to use the old CD- changer, however these things kind of sucked anyway)

3rd) to keep steering wheel remote controls, you will need an adapter. you can find this here. http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/UNIVERSA...SWIX_p_597.html

you will need an IR remote for the new headunit, (usually included or sold aftermarket, yet you should check on this)

programming this is alot like programming an old remote control or garage opener, my reccomendation, get this professional installed, but fist use the system for awhile and look at what controls on the system you want to use for the appropriate controls on the steeringwheel and write these down for the installer)

4th) installing and finishing. The installation is a standard size DIN no adapter needed. you will need to fabricate (cut plastic,) little side finishers to make up for some dead space.

I installed an AVIC-N1, complex system, but the sound is unreal, i was shocked at the difference just changing the head unit made. I was floored. I had a competition system in my car previous, and it is just a great system with the new head unit, i can not overstress this point.

Also you may want a new subwoofer system, I will let you all decide on that.

I noticed that auto toys links don't work so try a search

Cheers

Steve

thanks Steve.

I have just sent Lucy off to the 'experts' to get it wired in hopefully.

Next problem is getting a new clear indicator lens and bulb, I hit a bird on the M5 earlier today....this RR is nothing but trouble ;)

I think Lucy is warming to it though...it might be staying afterall

Will :)

they were the first people I called Tony, arrived at 8.45am the next day, superb service as ever and only £27 inc P&P

D4x4 didn't have one when I called in on my way home and it would have been £27+VAT and P&P

I have done nearly 1000miles this week in the P38a and am loving it, great headlights for the blast home across the moor last night, the V8 pulls much harder than the Disco's V8 did and is more economical at 22mpg on a run

Will :)