GPS Options - Hardware AND Software help needed

Hybrid_From_Hell

Hi All,

I want to have some sort of 'Rugged Tablet PC' inside the 90.

At the top of the list is a iX104 -

except can I find one - PAH no chance, .............have had feelers out now for a while but no joy.

So.....

Those on the forum who have knowledge on this area please post up.

below is what I am ultimately after, if I HAVE to buy new then I'll think about it,

but surely to gawd I can get what I want with spending a fortune ?

Spec I'd like :

Hardware :

• Waterproof, of damned good mud and water chuked on it proof
  • Tablet - ie no keyboard - just to one unit with a pen to clink the screen
  • Size not too important :moglite: but def not too small, std iX104 (sort of Normal Laptop) about right - not palmtop size fer sure :lol:

Software :

Erm, rather than state this - this is what I want it to be able to do :

• 1 -Run GPS Waypoints within Challenge events
  • 2 -Guide on Greenlane days for 100% certainty of arguments with bobble hatters - and finding those tricky entrances !
  • 3 -Run Maegatune Engine Diagnostic Software (have this now so must be windows based)
  • 4 -Possibly have option to take a video camera input from the 90 and dispaly on the screen - what maybe needed ?

So me questions forumeers are :

• Options by Make Model etc for the hardware, or even better if you have anything to sell PM me :)
  • Options by Make Version etc of the software I need for Items 1 and 2 ? Anyone have any <cough> versions available ? :)

Post up please - need some help here

Nige

1. X-Nav when Si has got that sorted

2. Memory Map, most people seem to be running 5.x.x these days

Can I do a "DC" here and plead for Basics !!

X-Nav - what does it do vs say Memory Map ?

How come both can't do both ?

Oh, and to run GPS I guess I need a reciver thingy plugged into the Tablet ?....help here too please ?

Nige

Can I do a "DC" here and plead for Basics !!

X-Nav - what does it do vs say Memory Map ?

How come both can't do both ?

Memory Map has OS maps and shows you where you are, a track of where you have been, you can also pre-plot route to follow or put 'marks' on the map to identify lanes etc.

What MM is not goot at is entering waypoints from a list of grid refs (such as may be given to you on a challenge event) and then pointing you in the direction of a selected way point. This is what X-Nav will do, and from what I have seen do well, particularly in allowing quick entering of waypoints.

They do two different things but complement each other well for off road / laning use.

Oh, and to run GPS I guess I need a reciver thingy plugged into the Tablet ?....help here too please ?

Cheapest and easiest option is to get an GPS 'mouse' this is a dumb GPS reciever that simply passes your location to the PC where your chosen software does all the work. Ebay is a good source of these, look for USB connection, others who have these may be able to suggest specific models.

Another option would be to wire a tradition GPS unit, something like a Garmin GPS V are good. This still passes your location to the PC for your software to use, but you also have the additional functionality of the GPS unit* should you want, even when you don't have the PC connected up.

* All the functionality of the GPS (and more) unit can usually be replicated on the PC by using the appropriate software, although the stand alsone GPS unit can help with multi tasking. But it may be simpler to go for a GPS 'mouse'.

If you want to multi task on the PC an application called GPS Gate can be used to split the GPS signal to allow it to be used by more than one application (usually an application hogs the GPS signal so only one application at a time can use it) so you could run say X-Nav and MM at the same time.

Jez and most of the guys, myself included here use Toughbooks with a USB GPS Mouse, running a program called Ozi Explorer which you can load maps onto for various areas. It can also be used on any laptop although they tend to be a little more fragile re dust cr§p and vibrations.

Nige, so you don't have to plead for basics...

Ozi is simlar to MM. MM is great for UK use as it comes with UK OS maps, 1:50k and 1:25k as well as ariel photographs which already work with the software and require no calibration. Ozi comes in to it's on for areas where you need to import maps either in digital format or scanned paper maps which you then calibrate so they show the correct location, or blag from someone who has already done it. In the UK most people use MM for ease, else where Ozi seems to rule.

I know it doesn't have the bling factor and you won't be able to tell people you spent £Xk on it but.........

I have a Fujitsu Stylistic 3400 bought from ebay, it came with external cd drive, IR keyboard, wireless card and associated case and stylus.

It is enough computer to run MM and a copy of X-nav perfectly. The screen is finger touch and unless you want to drop it in a puddle it is sufficiently water/dirt proof. I paid £105.

If you need more bling then the 3500 has a bigger memory, hard drive and slightly faster processor.

This coupled with a USB GPS mouse from ebay too and an in car power supply for £1.99 from ebay and bobs your uncle.

Stop moaning and get one, it won't matter if it gets lost, stolen or squashed.

Running an old Dell laptop with a 7" touchscreen. Ebay special Bluetooth GPS and use it for memorymap and music.

Does your old Dell have Bluetooth or are you using an adapter (to serial for example)? I ask because there are some good bluetooth GPS mouse bargains at the mo, but I can't use one because of the cost of an adapter...

Does your old Dell have Bluetooth or are you using an adapter (to serial for example)? I ask because there are some good bluetooth GPS mouse bargains at the mo, but I can't use one because of the cost of an adapter...

A usb bluetooth dongle will cost a couple of quid on ebay.

Mo

autoroute 2007 for turn by turn voice instructions normal road navving

memory map 5 for off the beaten track but i have to borrow my brothers laptop at present... sooo....

once half of it arrives and i get it in the car (still in boxes) my new system will be

mini-ITX motherboard. 17x17cm sunk into bottom of cubby box with HDD

pioneer slot loading cd drive in stock cd player position

wireless keyboard and mouse (wireless receiver plugged to motherboard by usb and positioned in void behind window switches

7inch screen on arm from passenger panic handle

gps signal at present via my road angel classic plugged to serial port.

might in the future look at a usb numeric keypad to do some basic functions for media player or whatever.

can anyone tell me how clumsy a 7inch touch screen is? cos ive got visions of it being horrendous to use thus why i bought a normal one and wireless kb/mouse

get a GPS mouse with a SIRF 3 chipset in it

:huh:

Kin ell

Like this one then Jez ????????????????

or any better versions / suggestions ??? - this says waterproof, .........so I at least don't need to MS it :)

Just need to nip off and pour some cold water in my ear to cool off the grey cell.

Then after I have cuddled a lump or 2 of some nice thick plate steel I be fine again and back to view more.

:)

RV Love the cheap tablet, having a looky on e-bay now !...for that money I'll waterproof it for the days outing with F Cling Film :lol:

Anyone know if Memory Map and X Nav would need more than 98SE as an operating system ?...or what the minimum these 2 bits of software would need ?

Nige :huh:

A usb bluetooth dongle will cost a couple of quid on ebay.

Mo

Ah yes - sorry, I forgot to mention - my MM is a 'cheap' version and only seems to work with a serial interface, and I haven't seen a bluetooth to serial for less than about £35 IIRC... Apologoes for misleading you there...

:rolleyes:

Nice cheap 1st bash system seems to be taking form now :

Tablet - sort of sorted :)

GPS Mouse - ordered wiv the s3 chipset :huh:

Memory Map V5 OS LANDRANGER 1:50,000 somethingorothers - 'coming my way' :)

Megatune software - have it already

X-Nav ??????????

Can't find this anywhere to learn up around ?

Found Memory map here : http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_uk_onland.htm

Help anyone with X-Nav stuff ????

Nige

It's something SimonR is working on, not on open release as yet.

:hysterical:

Oh X-Nav

Just showing my exteme stupidity in both googling yahooing and being puzzled !

So other than SiRs software, if you wnated software that say on a challenge event you needed to key in a GPS ref / waypoints etc, Memory map as I understand it doesn't do this ?

So what softyware then to look at on top of MM (MM being good for say green lanning / road sat naving) could I look at then ??

Do you know if X-Nav when finanised will be an upgrade on MM or a std alone sytem ?

Will SR been coming out with a similar cut down version that will offer full GPS Mapping for the entire UK to their Shop and Till in London from any UK Location ?

Nige

you can make your own waypoints using the OS grid ref with memory map & add a marker to the map on the screen

& you can't use the latest MM 2005 maps won't work on the 2002 or 2003 or 2004 MM OS, only works on that years issue maps,something to do with the OS maps copyrights.

memory map DOES facilitate plotting waypoints by grid reference and/or lat/long. im sure it does. im sure ive done it.

Yep I stand corrected, but as per a PM not inm the niceest way or as maybe as well as the X-Nav may do :)

Hmmmm

Looks like I'm going to be busy again :)

Raplh, re the Software, should be a full MM V5 somethingorother complete mit licnece etc, ??

nige