Heated Windscreen wiring

jimstrong

Posted this a while back in the Defender forum by mistke:-

One side of my factory fitted heated windscreen on my 1997 Discovery suddenly stopped working last week. I think it was after I'd recharged the battery (I removed it from the car to charge). I'm not a great electrician, but am I right in assuming that only one fuse drives the unit and that therefore the problem is likely to be in the wiring to that side of the screen?

It was a factory fitted unit, but there's no indication which fuse (or fuses) are protecting it - I think the wiring runs to the fuse box under the bonnet, but all fuses look OK there (and also in the dashboard fuse box).

Thanks a lot for any guidance as to where the problem might be.

Jim Strong

Maxi fuse under bonnet and two std fuses behind the glovebox have to drop the lid right down to get at them.

Lynall

> and two std fuses behind the glovebox

Oh thanks Lynall - one of the two fuses behind the glovebox must have gone - it was quite dark when I looked and I couldn't see if any had failed. I'll get a better torch out and have a proper look.

Jim

I can't find the fuse in my books either, have u check the two electrical plugs that are under the bonnet under the windscreen?

I found the fuses following Lynall's tip* and they are both OK. I did have a quick look at the plugs under the bonnet when it first happened and they did seem OK. I'm now going to get out my voltmeter and have a go at tracing the fault back through the wires. It must have been something I did when charging the battery.

* I downloaded the Rave CD manuals and still haven't found a reference to those two fuses behind the glove box so far!

Jim