Mantec Snorkel Repair

SteveG

My Mantec snorkel has been pretty robust so far,

snorkel003Medium.jpg

but at 7 sisters a tree got the better of it ;) and the top was left being held on by one small piece of plastic and then lots of duck tape :)

So I thought I'd try to repair it, rather than buy another top. The centre section of the mushroom top is connected via 3 plastic spokes to the outside mushroom part. The underside metal grill is then plastic riveted to these 3 spokes.

Two spokes had completely sheared off and the third had broken in half at the plastic rivet hole. I bought a pack of four 38mm corner brace brackets from local DIY place for 1.89 and used 4mm bolts and respective nylocs to secure them.

Here's the finished item. If you don't mind the look of brakets I would also suggest this a good quick mod to an OK top to give it a bit more strength..

Snorkel016Medium.jpg

Luckly the brackets lined up well and I could use the existing holes in grill and spokes :) So I just had to drill the three holes in side of mushroom top.

Snorkel015Medium.jpg

I'll see how long this repair lasts ;);)

Cheers

Steve