200tdi Running On

Raumer

Our defender decided yesterday that it didn't want to turn off. Could switch off the ignition but it carried on running. Had to stop it by stalling it. I'm guessing that it is the stop solenoid that has stopped working. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to change and where to get a new one from? The engine is from a discovery if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Ed

Our defender decided yesterday that it didn't want to turn off. Could switch off the ignition but it carried on running. Had to stop it by stalling it. I'm guessing that it is the stop solenoid that has stopped working. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to change and where to get a new one from? The engine is from a discovery if that makes any difference.

Thanks

Ed

Solonoid is mounted on the top of the fuel injector pump (LHS of the engine as you look at it from the front.)

Changing it is a case of disconnecting the feed wire and unscrewing it. Replacement is the reverse of the removal - just keep everything spotlessly clean and don't lose any washer/o-rings.

Any of the major suppliers (Brookwells, Paddocks, Craddocks etc etc ) will do you one mail order. A decent motor factor will probably have one on the shelf. A Land Rover main dealer will probably not know what it is, tell you that it's an optional extra and won't have one in stock.

;)

Hope this helps.

Matt

Still responds perfectly to throttle so not engine oil. My guess at the moment is debris from the fuel. Rebuilding the pump isn't much of an issue as one of my work colleagues used to run a business rebuilding diesel injection pumps. Just trying to find somewhere to order one from at the moment! Neither Paddocks or Craddocks have them listed! :huh:

Thanks

Ed