Lazy Headlights

mjr

I wonder whether anyone out there can help with some suggestions?

I have a defender 90 2.5TD 1988.

Last week the headlights did not come on when I pushed the stalk forward (sidelights came on at first stage, headlights did not come on at second stage of the light switch). As it was not too dark I left home as I could get full beam by pulling the dip/full beam stalk towards me and it is a country track. After a couple of hundred yards I tried the headlight switch again and the headlights came on.

Since then it seems to be getting longer and longer before the headlights will come on. It takes about 5mins now before the lights will come on.

Now I leave the lights switched to on and leave the car running and after 5mins once they magically turn themselves on I leave the house and get in the car. Once on the lights stay on, and most times I can get them back on immediately if I turn them off.

I have tried changing the headlight switch but this made no difference, I tried unplugging the dim/dip relay thing behind the dash (black box with fins on lower edge) but this didn't help either. I have checked the connections to the headlights and they seem fine (and I presume the bulbs are fine as they come on eventually). Whenever I switch the lights on I can always hear a click (relay?) behind the fuse panel, even when the lights don't go on.

This morning I can now no longer get full beam by pulling the stalk back towards me, and the interior light has stopped working (not sure if linked but both went out at same time).

Any suggestions gratefully received as I need to get my MOT this week!

Thanks

mark

Just been working on it again, and still none the wiser. Dipped lights came on after around 5mins after being switched on even without engine running (just ignition turned). Cannot work out what would cause a delay like this. Tried changing bulbs but made no difference.

if you disconnect the dim dip unit, do the headlights work normally without being slow to come on to dip beam, [note-- with dim dip relay disconnected, you won't have the dim dip headlights, this isn't a mot failure]

there's no headlight relays on a 1988 vehicle, certainly none on my 1989 110 which was a TD.

just been out to my 110, when I switch the dip headlights on, I hear a click from behind the instrument pack [lower right front corner of dash] this is being made by the Voltage Sensitive relay [VSR] that sits in that corner, sounds like yours is getting very lazy or failing, to get access to it remove the instrument pack & disconnect the speedo cable, move the instrument pack towards the steering wheel, you'll see the VSR by looking in towards the right corner, maybe changing that will cure the fault.

Voltage Sensitive Relay LR part number AMR3325

just been out to my 110, when I switch the dip headlights on, I hear a click from behind the instrument pack [lower right front corner of dash] this is being made by the Voltage Sensitive relay [VSR] that sits in that corner, sounds like yours is getting very lazy or failing, to get access to it remove the instrument pack & disconnect the speedo cable, move the instrument pack towards the steering wheel, you'll see the VSR by looking in towards the right corner, maybe changing that will cure the fault.

Voltage Sensitive Relay LR part number AMR3325

When I unplugged the dim/dip unit it made no difference. The headlights didn't come on from cold.

I don't seem to hear any click from the VSR (assuming it is the thing that sits below the dim/dip unit behind the instrument panel). Will try replacing it and see if that helps (I didn't realise it had anything to do with the lights!).

As for not having relays, well, something clicks behind the fuse panel and it looks like a red connector plugged into a brassy looking metal square box about 1inch square sat on the back of the fuse board next to 2 other similar looking (but black connectors) units).

Thanks for the help, will let you know of any progress.

Mark

it is but definitly clicks when I switch dip beam on. must be sensing the voltage drop.

that will be the unit that turns the headlights off when you turn the ignition off.

The relay your looking for should have:-

White Wire - Ign feed

Black Wire - Earth

Blue Wire - Supply From Light Switch (Live when dipped beam is on - not side lights)

Blue Wire - Supply to Dim/Dip Relay (Live when head lights & ign are on)

Not sure about relay location, but that should help you identify it.

HTH

Only problem with that as my 110 is a '89 vehicle & the subject vehicle is a '88 they DON'T have headlight relays like later vehicles.

I know my dash wiring intimatly as I had to replace the complete main loom recently so I'm 100% sure I'm correct.

this 110 wiring diagram should help :D

Defender_wiring_P1.pdf

Key_for_wiring_P2.pdf