CB Aerial Mounting

disco_al

Have just bought a CB to stick in the Disco, any suggestions as to where to mount the aerial.

Don't really want to go down the route of drilling holes in the roof for a stud mount (it leaks enough without adding more holes :) )

initial thought was a gutter mount, but then i may get height clearance concerns, and it will be a pain getting through car park barriers. has anyone used one of the spare wheel mounts that i have seen on fleabay? any good?

my other thought was a stud mount in the rear bumper, but that could cause problems too

Is the bonnet steel or ali? If it's steel, mag mount it there - easy and a nice big ground plate for the aerial.

Gutter mount would work, the portion of aerial sticking above your roof should bend nicely for car-parks and things although it'll make loads of fun twanging noises and probably hit every sign, pipe, and light fitting on the way through :lol:

that's what i was hoping to avoid. however, it may well end up as that.

gutter mount will be ok for everyday use, but for some night time action (oo-er) on the hills (anyone remember DX'ing?) i have a 7ft firestick (fibreglass pole, i once broke a gutter mount with that one - the casting snapped)

any more suggestions?

Is the bonnet steel or ali? If it's steel, mag mount it there - easy and a nice big ground plate for the aerial.

That's what I'm planning to do with mine - had it on the roof in the lakes, but I think somewhere with more overhanging trees it would get pulled off. Erica gets car sick so I didn't think she'd appreciate an aerial waving around in front of her... :lol:

Gutter mount would work, the portion of aerial sticking above your roof should bend nicely for car-parks and things although it'll make loads of fun twanging noises and probably hit every sign, pipe, and light fitting on the way through :lol:

Hmm... not so sure it would survive on a Discovery - remember they're taller than other Land Rovers, pretty close to the height limit for a lot of car parks (and over for some). Even the standard radio aerial drags along the roof. You might be okay with it on the bonnet.

You could either go the mag-mount root and remove it when you aren't using it, or fit a gutter mount and unscrew the aerial from the mount.

I have mine on the front arb bumper like jules. Work fine for me on the 90, but there again as a soft top not alot of other places to put it :)

And the disco had it on the front bumper (jules and me hacked that on beffore a trip to fraser island)but will be putting on the ARB bull bar which i have just bought when i get round to it

Great bit about putting it on the bull bar is that you don't damage the car

On this pic you can see the one on the 90 is on the bull bar and the disco is on the bumper but the disco is being changed to be the same as the 90

PICT0332.JPG

Mines on a bracket on the inside of the spare wheel mount. Ariel comes up between the door and the spare wheel. I have run the co-ax cable into the rear just above the top hinge. The CB itself is mounted on the back of the centre console behind the handbrake.....where the silly little cube shaped bag used to be, but might be a cubby box on some models.

HTH

Mines on a bracket on the inside of the spare wheel mount. Ariel comes up between the door and the spare wheel. I have run the co-ax cable into the rear just above the top hinge.

HTH

As above. The aerial base is about 300 mm below the roof line, so it bends out of the way quite well, plus you only have holes in the spare wheel mount. :D