Cerrigcwplau-Rhiwnant, SE Claerwen dam

Betsy

I just bought a new map of the area, and lo and behold the cerrigcwplau-rhiwnant route that runs through the river, and along the bank to Rhiwnant is now marked as a BYWAY!

Is this a lane that has escaped NERC, because on all the other maps I have seen, it was a RUPP.

It's shown as a Byway on Streetmap. Maybe it got upgraded before NERC came in, the local RoW office would be able to confirm.

Hi all

Please forgive the possible newbie like question, but here goes...north west of the lane shown in the streetmap link (thanks Mark) there's a lane that runs along the edge of the Claerwen Reservior. Is it open and is it a good lane? I ask because a friend and I we're out a few weeks ago and saw it on the map but it was quite a distance from where we were and weren't too keen to drive all the way over to find it closed like 2 others we came accross that day.

We're fairly new to laning so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

SPT

Is it open and is it a good lane?

Yes/No and Scenic. The BOAT is gravelled and follows the reservoir round. It is very scenic and a nice drive. At the county boundary near the end there is some uncertainty as to the existence of a right of way. I have heard all sorts from "of course there is a ROW, carry on" to "no there is not a ROW but drive it anyway" to "there is no ROW but that the landowner is fine as long as you use the ford and not the bridge he had to build for himself" to "there is a ROW but that the landowner is only happy if you use the ford and not the bridge he had to build it for himself". AFAIK there is nothing shown on the definitive map or the list of streets. Nick, formerly from Llanerchindda Farm, always insisted that it was a "lost" right of way.

Chris

The continuation of the Claerwen Dam track after the County boundary/ford/bridge is NOT a Right of Way. It is not marked on any maps or currently by Powys CC, however there is the possibility of some negotiations with the Elan Trust and Ceredigion CC in the near future.

Re the track back down the Valley from the Dam, have you checked with Powys CC about an upgrade? Looks good if it has been done.

The ROW officer did not mention it as a recent change, but we didn't ask specifically!

We only spotted it by chance when I needed a new map! We drove it, and there were no signs of TRO, and it was in OK condition, although a bit wet.

Int5eresting article HERE
Linda Ashton of the CCW said: "We are working hard to strike a balance between the need to conserve wildlife, landscapes and people's quiet enjoyment of the countryside and the need to provide suitable opportunities for off-roaders to enjoy their activity."

A balance eh? That would suggest we can expect some new vehicular ROWs in Wales then.

Oh, and Linda, those of us who comply with the rules are ON ROADERS.

Chris