Electric Fans switch on a 90

Dev

Hi All ,just picked up a 90 g reg its had a 200 tdi fitted but electric fans , the fans are operating on an independant switch which is ok for most i spose but i know i will forget to switch them on , so the question is how do i wire them up so they come on when needed, is there a kit i can get ??

thanks Dev.

Guest otchie1
Fully recommend the X-Eng Fan switch, I no a few people that have got them fitted & will be buying another very soon.

or you could save yourself a fiver and buy them from classic car world where it is simply known as the X-fan controller body.

If the 200 Tdi is Ex Air con model you can remove the large M22x1.5 Temp sensor from the Thermostat housing and fit a temp switch for the Fan in it's place. All sorts of temp ranges are availiable.

I've done this using an Intermotor sensor cost less than a tenner

Cheers Mike

or you could save yourself a fiver and buy them from classic car world where it is simply known as the X-fan controller body.

both list at £34.99 on Si site and Classic car from what i can see.

I have an X-Fan kit as do 4 others around here - i think they are great, good value for money and no trouble to date.

If the 200 Tdi is Ex Air con model you can remove the large M22x1.5 Temp sensor from the Thermostat housing and fit a temp switch for the Fan in it's place. All sorts of temp ranges are availiable.

I've done this using an Intermotor sensor cost less than a tenner

Cheers Mike

I think I have the same - would'nt happen to have a photo of this set up would you? - and what temp switch did you use?

Thanks

Steve

Thanks for all the info , I like the idea of being able to isolate it for wading etc, so I suppose if I get the temp controlled switch and just link it into the existing circuit and leave it in the on position it would work normally and if need be I could still turn it off.

Dev

i simply used the temp sensor for the Air con (as fitted in top of the thermostat housing) via a relay. I find it comes on at just about the right time. I can manually switch it on from the dash too but cannot over-ride it to turn it off as that would lead to me forgetting to put it back on again and would defeat the object. The only benefit to stopping the fan when wading though would seem to be with a V8 and not a diesel (though i have been through some icy bomb holes where the 'bergs might have caused damage to a running fan)

Guest otchie1
both list at £34.99 on Si site and Classic car from what i can see.

I have an X-Fan kit as do 4 others around here - i think they are great, good value for money and no trouble to date.

You're quite right, £35 either way. I must've had a VAT inc/ex confusion. It's a good, reliable solution but I'm not sure about 'good value for money' though; almost on a par with Mitsubishi prices :-)

S2Hotdog

The Fan Switch I used is: Intermotor Part No. 50271

Cuts in at 88* and drops out at 83*

M22 x 1.5 Male Thread

I'll try and post a pic later.

I have wired it thro a relay and Three Pos'n Switch-Auto On, All off And Manual On

Mike

Mike

Thanks for that - sounds just what I want - I have just an on and off switch at the moment

Steve