Warn M8274-50

Speedy_Gonzales

I take it you are taking the pi$$ :)

No. It is an antiquated design. It is underpowered; awesomly inefficient, generally unreliable when modified, heavy, ludicrously inefficient, plagued by 'run on', bulky etc etc

Great fun to take apart though.

It's only saving grace is it's speed under no load thus making it popular with so many of the challenge crowd who don't own a bonnet net.

What do you really want the winch for?

No. It is an antiquated design. It is underpowered; awesomly inefficient, generally unreliable when modified, heavy, ludicrously inefficient, plagued by 'run on', bulky etc etc

Great fun to take apart though.

It's only saving grace is it's speed under no load thus making it popular with so many of the challenge crowd who don't own a bonnet net.

What do you really want the winch for?

What a load of Spit and Waffle........... :lol:

Very funny, what scares me is that some might listen :rolleyes:

So come then i'll bite too, 'Oh-great-offroad-master' what is the best winch for us all to spend our money on :rolleyes:

{ Waves lighted cigarette in direction of touch paper} :ph34r:

Speedy, For the money, easy fit, Easy use, parts availability worldwide and the ability to be upgraded at any time the 8274 takes a lot of beating.

David is of course right the 8274 is old and yes we do wish that they would fit a better solenoid pack and the mighty XP as standard, but they do not.

So until something better comes along (And i wait to be enlightened :rolleyes::lol: ) it would be a wise choice.

The other thing that many also forget that is IF you choose to sell at any time the 8274 resells at very good money unlike many cheap winches that you can not give away once second hand.

One other word of warning if you buy a winch from the States without a CE mark you will not get warranty back up in this country, this fine if you intend to rip it apart and put bigger motors on it etc..... But if planning to use it in Standard form, something to be aware of.

One last thing that might be worth checking is that i am not sure there any 8274's in the country at present, but i might be wrong.

Kind regards

Jim :)

So come then i'll bite too, 'Oh-great-offroad-master' what is the best winch for us all to spend our money on :rolleyes:

warn 9.5ti has a no load speed of 65ft/min compared to the 8274-50 of 73ft/min

hardly a huge difference if no load spooling is all you're after.......

oh and at 8000lbs line pull, the 9.5ti is faster (7.6ft/min - 6ft/min) and uses less current (370amp - 450amp)

Even the venerable M8000 can outpull an 8274 at full load :-)

and i bet the 9.5ti doesnt have all the inherent design problems of the 8274 like brakes falling to bits, circlips flying off etc.

and its cheaper

and its smaller - therefore fits super slim line winch bumpers......

cheaper for a reason

open the gearbox and look at the sealing or lack of.

limited to drum size/width

The 8274 may not be the best but it is in the top set for a easy to fit and use winch.

with the modifications even better.

But I hear you say why should you modify it

same goes for a L/R the are built to a price then we choose to upgrade them.

If I were to need a winch to pull the car for hours at a time I'd fit a Type R

as I don't I want a powerful /quick winch the 8274 is the one to choose..

The EP9 is in need of a few changes apparently after sealing issues.

if you are on a tight budget it seems a good choice.

the 8274 at 33years old must be doing something right.

warn 9.5ti has a no load speed of 65ft/min compared to the 8274-50 of 73ft/min

hardly a huge difference if no load spooling is all you're after.......

oh and at 8000lbs line pull, the 9.5ti is faster (7.6ft/min - 6ft/min) and uses less current (370amp - 450amp)

Even the venerable M8000 can outpull an 8274 at full load :-)

and i bet the 9.5ti doesnt have all the inherent design problems of the 8274 like brakes falling to bits, circlips flying off etc.

and its cheaper

and its smaller - therefore fits super slim line winch bumpers......

There's no point spouting standard figures for the Warn 8274, as most people use modified motors like the XP, 24V Bowmotor etc.

As for the brake issues, the rarely happen on a standard brake, the issues start when you use uprated brake shoes and then the retaining modification is needed, so can't be used against 8274. As for the 9.5ti's brake it has the warn cone brake which has known failure issues with paying out under load and also generating heat in the drum :rolleyes: .

Cheers

Steve

Yeah i'd like to see that - I've got an 8274 with an Xp motor on the front and an M8000 with a warn 4.6 motor on the back. The M8000 is just pants. Drum is nowhere near big enough, and I've stalled the thing so many times - list time HFH had to winch me out backwards as the M8000 jammed itself up so badly it wouldnt go in or out!

The 8274 on the other hand I've never even needed to double line........

Jon

But scarely accurate!

Very funny, what scares me is that some might listen :rolleyes:

How would I know, I'm an armchair off roader not an international challenge competitor of great verve and style.

{ Waves lighted cigarette in direction of touch paper} :ph34r:

:D

Speedy, For the money, easy fit, Easy use, parts availability worldwide and the ability to be upgraded at any time the 8274 takes a lot of beating.

David is of course right the 8274 is old and yes we do wish that they would fit a better solenoid pack and the mighty XP as standard, but they do not.

So until something better comes along (And i wait to be enlightened :rolleyes::lol: ) it would be a wise choice.

The other thing that many also forget that is IF you choose to sell at any time the 8274 resells at very good money unlike many cheap winches that you can not give away once second hand.

One other word of warning if you buy a winch from the States without a CE mark you will not get warranty back up in this country, this fine if you intend to rip it apart and put bigger motors on it etc..... But if planning to use it in Standard form, something to be aware of.

One last thing that might be worth checking is that i am not sure there any 8274's in the country at present, but i might be wrong.

Kind regards

Speedy as long as it's not got too much weight on it, then you get to fry eggs on the motor.

Easy fit my hairy bottom, come on Jim you have fitted so many winches are you honestly trying to tell me it's an easy fit?

Parts availability - good job really and no it doesn't take a lot of beating unless you have forked out pennies to upgrade it

I have to admit that thanks to the excellent propaganda job you can make shekels on the S/H market; I know I do!

So Jim what have you spent the last few years investing money into winch wise - oh yes trying to improve the 8274 AND upping battery sales in the UK :P

How's the family by the way?

*runs and dives back into very deep trench, pulls sandbags round him, drags large sheet of ply over head, sticks fingers in ears, clenches butt cheeks and awaits next salvo*

Dave I realize you may be fishing but one point I must add

the motor fails to get to any noticeable temp even fully loaded in the bog

I have a temp senor on mine and never see above 30 degrees C and it cools very quickly.

Saying that when I first had an 8274 with the v old motor it did heat it up till it nearly stalled

but that was pulling a hefty 110 up a sheer slope.

I guess the old motor was shot as it was 12years old when I got it.

I'm quite happy with my G10. Powerful, not fast but by no means slow. Only stalled it a couple of times. And works every time I ask it to. And on the rear I have a Huskey. Slow but dependable. That's about all I can say about it.

As for propoganda, a lot of people buy the 8274 cos it's a fashion winch. In as such that so many others have 1 so the rest just follow the crowd. I wouldn't put 1 on the front of my truck if you gave it to me. But Jim if your offering I could change my mind ;)

As for propoganda, a lot of people buy the 8274 cos it's a fashion winch. In as such that so many others have 1 so the rest just follow the crowd. I wouldn't put 1 on the front of my truck if you gave it to me.

At last common sense.

I also wonder just how many 8274 lovers have used other winches - yeah I know some have but just how many.

My dislike of Warn is well documented but I love the M8000, it's a great winch and if in fine fettle, well solenoided up and well powered will pull all day with nary a stall or a moan (Nick, don't even get involved in this as you can break Toyota axles so you are disqualified from all reasonable use). The EP is a god old tool as is the X9. The Aussies have taken the T-max to their hearts as have the Yanks. We are spoilt for choice. SO take off the blinkers, ignore the propaganda and think out of the box just a little.

I guess its all down to personal preference …………… I just don’t like electric winches …….period, full stop………..but if I had to go down that route then it would probably be an 8274 …………………. easy to use and takes loads of abuse, very high spares availability, plus it’s a high line winch that is easy to work on…………… I guess second in line would be the EP series …………………….however, I’ll stick with my hydraulics …………… fast, quiet, no overrun, and if you need to double line, then consider yourself very deep in the sh!t !!

Edit............... Tony and myself both posted together .................much the same idea............

:)

Ian

I had an 8274 and sold it, it seemed to be short of grunt to me but it was an old one with an old motor on it so probably not in the first flush of youth.

If I went back to an electric winch for any reason it would either be an 8274 or an XP, or if I was on a budget, an EP9.

At last common sense.

I also wonder just how many 8274 lovers have used other winches - yeah I know some have but just how many.

My dislike of Warn is well documented but I love the M8000, it's a great winch and if in fine fettle, well solenoided up and well powered will pull all day with nary a stall or a moan (Nick, don't even get involved in this as you can break Toyota axles so you are disqualified from all reasonable use). The EP is a god old tool as is the X9. The Aussies have taken the T-max to their hearts as have the Yanks. We are spoilt for choice. SO take off the blinkers, ignore the propaganda and think out of the box just a little.

I use my winch a lot and use it harder than 95% of people out there. Ive had M8000's/9000's and wouldn't even look at one again, the epicyclic gear box is a pain, The cone brake is useless and will destroy itself if you use it to lower off not to mention the heat build up with plasma issue, its a nightmare for field repairs and the free spool seizes if you don't pull it to bits every time you drown it (causing you to have to power it out and wreck the brake again) The drums too small for a decent amount of decent size rope although they do pull O.K. but not as good as a XP'd 8274. I personally would not have a husky, They are painful to use and not all that powerful, but it must be said they are reliable so it could well be a choice if speed is not an issue. Ive never had experience of any of the other superwinch winch's tho.

Ive considered a hydraulic setup but decided against it for a few reasons but mainly because a lot of the situations I get into the Hydro just isn't an option. (as in when you cant run the engine or the angle of truck is so much that they starve the hydraulic pump) also don't despite what people say about the reliability under heavy use ive seen some well sorted setups failing (Mainly due to pump problems). Its also a lot more involved to fit.

My personal choice is the 8274, it does everything I want and is simple and quick to service and proves reliable. I have had problems but mine probably gets more use in one weekend than most get in a year. Its certainly requires a lot less maintenance than the low line winch's ive had and what you do have to do is a lot less of a fiddle.

:lol:

This is superb fun.

So come on David i've taken the bait

WHAT IS BEST ELECTRIC WINCH

Awaiting enlightenment :rolleyes:

Nick 90:

You of all people should know not to go around quoting figures from Manufactures that sell winches. These are based on something someone doddled on a pad and then thought 'i know we'll call those factual figures' :lol:

The reality of all of this is that we have more choice than ever, and if you are looking for a mid market sensible lowline winch then the Ep9/12 or Dv9/12 take alot of beating inparticular due to there external cone brake making them suitable for Plasma style ropes (These winches are not waterproof in the slightest and do need mantainence if to be kept in good working order)

Looking for a Top drawer brand(?) lowline, then the Warn Xp is a very powerful contender with the TI snapping at it's heels but reality is that the TI is no match for it's powerful brother.

T-max........erm...................The outback series is Good very good, however the cheaper end of there range is Erm Not that great, but for the money again, takes a bit of beating.

Want waterproof, lowline and powerful then the Huskey ticks all the boxes (If you have time to wait for it :lol: )

Then comes the hordes of other winches into which i'm going to bundle the M8000, the Magunm (German made M8000, excellent winch) Superwinch x9 (Have bust so many i can not recommend them, but also the base for those great winches, the G10 and 12) and the hosts of others that are all perfectly fine and comes down to personal choice, application, vehicle type and pocket size.

Then there is the 8274, i hated this winch with a passion i can not begin to describe when i first started offroading, i called it "The hunch back of the winch world", however i grew up, realised that it is never going to set the world on fire in standard trim, but for reliability, parts availability and all the reasons so many have covered it is ignored at peril, it is the winch that changed offroading for ever (Anyone want to argue that?) and has become quite simply an iconic unit that is hated and loathed with as much vigour from both sides.

It also has a resale value that no other winch can boast such is it's popularity..............

The choice is yours :lol:

Personally i'm of to buy a Hydraulic unit so i can smell of oil :lol:

And a PTO for the rear so i can call my car a tractor :lol:

Joke :ph34r:

Good thread