Check your swivel grease/oil

Les Henson

Les,

Excellent timing.... I'm in the process of rebuilding my Series 2 axles and had a question about the swivels that I was going to post.

In the Technical Archive (Which is absolutely fantastic btw), you've rebuilt a more recent axle but using the old balls, previous shims.

As I am using new swivel housings, Railko bushes and lower bearings, I'm going to be shimming from scratch. Should I add even distances to top and bottom or is it not critical in your opinion?

BTW, I spent ages looking for a flat or dark side on the Railko bushes (Britpart) to allign according to instructions but I swear there aren't any on mine :huh:

From my experience last night - When pressing the new components into the housing, press the bearing track first. Then, if you cock the Railko bush, you can still push it out with a bar through the brg track. (If you do the Railko first, it prevents easy, perpendicular access to the brg track if you jam it.

BTW, I spent ages looking for a flat or dark side on the Railko bushes (Britpart) to allign according to instructions but I swear there aren't any on mine :huh:

Did mine recently, and the profiled part wasn't a different colour to the rest of it, but you could still clearly see which side to point towards the diff.

Grease or oil you still have to maintain them, and that just did not happen over a w/e.

Ah but with oil you would have had puddles to tell you the seal wasn't doing it's job. With grease you can get water in before you get grease out and that gives you brown balls as above :)

You can also change oil to get the water out if you think there is some in there.

Fatboy -

Put the old shims back on and as you tighten the top pin bolts - keep checking the preload. If it tightens up too much then you need to add a thin shim and try again until you get it right by a process of elimination. If everything is new, then go for a slightly higher than recommended preload as things will bed in and ease off. 15lb on assembly will be about 12-13 after a short while.

Peter -

Swivel grease doesn't have a change time and if you drain it you never get it all out anyway unless you rinse it out with engine oil. One sachet of it doesn't come to the top of the filler/level plug either, so you wouldn't know if the right amount is still in there. I have heard of people filling the swivel housing until it drips out of the filler/level plug hole with no ill effects.

Les.

Peter -

Swivel grease doesn't have a change time and if you drain it you never get it all out anyway unless you rinse it out with engine oil. One sachet of it doesn't come to the top of the filler/level plug either, so you wouldn't know if the right amount is still in there. I have heard of people filling the swivel housing until it drips out of the filler/level plug hole with no ill effects.

Les.

Thanks Les,

I do over fill mine, but they are striped cleaned and rebuild every 6 months, I believe that the grease has better shock loading than EP90 or even EP140.

I do get migration from diff to swivel housing, but it does not seem to have any affect on any parts or the ARB, I also take out the level bung after an event and check the grease is still grease and not mud.

Peter

Les (Hoping you read this one again),

Your Tech Thread is for rebuilding later swivels with only two bolts on the top / disc brakes etc and it was very helpful.

You couldn't tell me the correct torque for the nuts on the Series 2 Railko & Lower Brg could you?

Ta