help me choose some tyres

discojmz

I know somebody that claimed to have worn a set of KL71s out in 2,500 miles :blink: that was on the back of a Shogun used mostly in 2WD but...

Was it one of the rare factory-optioned blown, big-block Shoguns with the spool diff and wheelie bars...? :lol:

I can't imagine that Disco's are particularly tyre-friendly beasts, and yet I would get in the order of 60k miles plus out of a set of my tyres, easy. In the past I've replaced them due to damage well before wear-out (we'll see how the KL71s fare). How do you shred a set of tyres in a few thousand miles without there being something very, very wrong with the vehicle? :unsure:

Had a closer look at the tyres today whilst doing the front CVs. The side lugs on the front tyres are sawtoothing a bit now (30k kms). Probably a bit under 2mm difference from front edge to rear edge on the wider lugs. And they are definitely noisier than when new, but still more than acceptable and excellent for a muddie. Rears are dead even with less than half the wear. Absolutely no complaints.

And yes, I really need to rotate the buggers...

Was it one of the rare factory-optioned blown, big-block Shoguns with the spool diff and wheelie bars...? :lol:

I should imagine it was a standard 2.8 diesel LWB, as it was a taxi firm that the comment was attributed to, and that is what they mostly use.

I'm still trying to get some KL71s for my Disco, but can't seem to find any of the right size! I currently run 235/85R16 Colway MTs, and don't really want to go back to standard ground clearance height, or fit a bigger lift and wheelarch flares. Currently thinking about 31x10.5s but would mean changing my 16" alloys for probably the cheapest 15" steel rims I can find - not really keen on that option.

Chris

200tdi Disco

I'm still trying to get some KL71s for my Disco, but can't seem to find any of the right size! I currently run 235/85R16 Colway MTs, and don't really want to go back to standard ground clearance height, or fit a bigger lift and wheelarch flares. Currently thinking about 31x10.5s but would mean changing my 16" alloys for probably the cheapest 15" steel rims I can find - not really keen on that option.

Chris

200tdi Disco

These are the sizes listed for 15&16" from their US site. It does include 235/85s. 265/75s might also be an option (with some trimming)?

post-3160-1197162059_thumb.jpg

KL71s have only recently become available in the 235/85R16 size in the last few months - can't say exactly when as we don't get that size very often at work - far too narrow for these parts - but the first order of KL71's in that size arrives next week, the last order a few months back was still the old 834 pattern.

really starting to hack me off how much cheaper the 15inch equivalents are to the 16 in a similar/identical diameter. trouble is, I already have a set of 16inch steels and a set of 16inch standard alloys. It makes little sense to me when theres less material being sold by them in a 16inch. didnt want to buy another set of wheels really.

That's pretty-much why I went to the 15s. Tyres at 2/3 the price of the equivalent 16s, and more sidewall for bagging out as a bonus. I was lucky and got a set of used 15x7" (19P) Fomb alloys for $250 with good A/T tyres (now sold for half that), but it's just cost me another $90 for a matching steel spare (bare) and I've still got to shell out for the tyre. Massively cheaper than 245/75R16s for instance, and an extremely broad range to choose from as a bonus. Plus I can't run anything bigger than 31s due to the aux petrol tank eating into the back of the wheel well so it was a no-brainer for me.