Winch Rope: Plasme Vrs Webbing

Mark90

Marlow Dynaline every time. ;);):D

Synthetic Fibre Replacement Winch Rope - weighs only a fraction of it's wire rope counterpart and is even stronger!

Dynaline is a 12 strand construction rope coated with Armourcoat to improve abrasion resistance and help protect the rope from ingress of dirt and grit.

The benefits of using Dynaline over wire are:

6 x lighter than wire

70% Stronger than wire

Easy to splice

Does not kink

Floats

No wire splinters

No strength loss when overlapped on winch drum

In the unlikely event that it breaks, it will not whiplash.

Available cut to length and spliced (see table below)

Diameters and break loads:

Diameter (mm) 8mm 10mm 12mm

Unspliced rope (kg) 7,128 10,836 15,059

Spliced rope (kg) 6,480 9,851 13,690

Available in:

Diameters: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm

Lengths: 25m, 30m, 38m

Weight of rope:

8mm: 3.31 kg/100m

10mm: 5.08 kg/100m

12mm: 7.12 kg/100m

(Cheers Steve)

Contact me, can do most lengths at the moment in 10 or12mm.

There was a chap at Slindon using the webbing - don't know how he got on?

The webbing is a tube, but as far as I know it does not have strands inside it. The main issues with

it from my point of view are:

Difficult to use with snatch blocks.

No way of splicing it.

There are special knots for tape/ribbon type cable - but I don't know them and don't know if they are strong.

The main advertised advantage of it is you can get one hell of a lot of it on the drum and it's less prone to the wraps under tension being pulled down inbetween other wraps.

Think I'll stick with string!

Si

You couldn't splice it in the field but I guess you could have it stitched, assuming the webbing was still in generally good enough condition to bother. After all the hook end is stitched, just like strops, and if they are like climbing slings they don't tend to break at the stitched join.

Snatch blocks was one of the problems I'd thought of. And does it need to be kept flat, or is it ok for it to get twisted?

There is a knot that's ok for tape/webbing which is quite strong and tightens with load but it will be weaker than a stitched join.

I like the idea of just using the webbing for fly lines as its pretty compact but not for winching, I had Dux Diamond rope which is good gear until it kinks on the winch and then its a royal pain in the soft bits - the abraison resistant cover tried its best but still got mullered. All said and done the line never broke and we kicked the pooh out of it :-)

Iwas asked to try the webbing stuff but never got past the first hurdle.....fixing it to the winch!!

Basically because it is flat there is no standard way of fixing it to the winch drum unless you cobble up some way of fixing an eye to it. The advice is you tie it to the drum using fancy guaranteed non slip knots. After using the right knots and loading the webbing it was possible to hang onto the winch hook while the winch was turning and watch the whole lot stay still while the drum went round! In other words there was no grip on the drum. My winch is fairly new so the drum is nice shiney paint so an old roughed up drum may fair better. An expert knot person tried re-fixing it with no improvement.

Not impressed.

On both my winches, the string is tied in a loop round the drum. My thinking was that if you wind it out too far (when lowering yourself), the worst that can happen is you wind up dangling on a line which you cannot wind in.

With other solutions, the end pops out / comes off / whatever and you go hurtling down the side of the big hole you really didn't want to hurtle down the side of - and mangle yourself at the bottom!

I've found it all to easy to mis-judge how much rope I can let out before it lets go!

The loop is secured to the drum with gaffer tape to stop it rotating quite so easily - and it does work a treat! If you use a bowlin (sp?) the rope doesn't bite in the knot too much and they are easy to undo even when they've been under tension.

Si

I've just been sent some by Samson to test/ee-val-ewe-ate

It looks nice and the hook is nice. The idea is to fit it on a PTO Mech Fairey winch with a clutch set at 4.5tonnes and then shift some tested rolling masses, using the standard USMC approved load variations for recovery! :blink:

BUT - the first hurdle is to fit the blessed stuff! :huh:

I will disclose the findings to all and sundry in TOR and then here.

I agree. Its good to see the Honiton Hobbit back amongst us and I think he's using the forum to TOR's advantage by pointing out upcoming articles of interrest to us. Hopefuly he will also be looking for ideas on copy that the forum members would want to see. Just a shame TOR is not on many news agent shelves.

Other mags could do well to follow his example.

We've got a good set of mods and we need to support them (and ourselves) by keeping them free from outside influences. Seems to be lots of us willing to chip in to keep the forum going and indications are its not hugely expensive to run.

So I vote no to sponsorship. Lets keep our independence.

More or less anybody who is a serious forumeer will probably happily cough up a tenner a year and even with our current membership of a couple of hundred, from what I have heard so far that is probably more than enough to cover costs and I would rather that than see history repeat itself.

[Thinks] I wonder if mods might even get a free magazine sub as payment for services rendered. If they did i wonder what magazine I would choose [/Thinks] :rolleyes::lol::lol::lol:

Tony is right, keep it indi.

Magazine Editors always have a boss, so they always have thier hands tied to some degree.

The reason ORRP is so succesful is it's independance, same with Pirate and Outer Limits to a degree. When a mag controls a site or even a business (like Difflock) then legalities and constraints set in.

Most of TOR's staff spend time on ORRP and LRE and now LRA - why not? It's a good place to pick up info and ideas - I have met some of the most interesting people of my life on LRE or ORRP. I have made some of the best friends I ever expect to have. I have also learnt more. I feel (and hope) that LRA is going to be the right mix of all my favourite forums, without the bad bits.