1 speed gearbox

clbarclay

I've got a 1 (one) speed gearbox i my 2.5 Vm Classic. 1st gear went on strike and 2,3,5 and reverse came out in sympathy. 4th is beautifully smooth and quiet. Fine on a motorway but hill starts a bit tricky. Does anyone know if a box from a petrol or TDi will fit straight on a VM or are there differences as regards clutch, input shaft, release bearing etc. I expect the bellhousing to be different but that shouldn't be a problem

I had this on my LT77. Something to do with bearings. 4th is a direct drive 1:1. So it's the last gear to go if it goes at all. I'm afraid you're in for a rebuild or new box :(

Doesn't sound healthy! Possible layshaft or input shaft gear failure, or the bearing on the front of the layshaft has collapsed.

The not so good news is that the following parts are different between the VM and the Petrol - bellhousing, input shaft, 1/2/3/5 gears & layshaft. Can't comment on the Tdi as I don't have a parts book to hand.

Best bet would be to pull the box and have a look inside. Not too difficult if you have a reasonable set of sockets, use a bit of care and take your time. You should be able to remove only the main gear casing once the plate (2 bolts) that holds the spool interlock for 3rd/4th selectors has been extracted. The problem most likely lies in the forward section of the box, so will be obvious once the case is off. Copies of the LT77 overhaul manual can be downloaded from the 'net.

I'd have a look inside and make the decision between rebuild or buy a recon unit. The cost of parts soon climbs if you have a fair few to replace, and you'll get a warranty on a recon unit.

The VM beasts have the same LT77 as the others just need to change the bellhousing, thrust bearing and release fork. The slave cylinders are the same as the 200tdi, this i know as i just ditched the VM from my RRC for a 200tdi

Baz

Whilst not being able to help with what box will fit, I had this happen on a Granada 5-speed box when the layshaft bearings collapsed, and again on the same car when the replacement box (off a scrapper)demolished the input shaft bearing which did the gear teeth to the layshaft.

4th as said is direct drive through the box.