OT tents

pugwash

what can people recommend in the way of Tents. Looking for 2 - 3 person tent, small, reasonably light and most importantly extremely quick and easy to put up. Tent must be good to cope with some bad weather without leaking or falling over. no need for storage space as this is going to be used for touring and expedition work!

Quecha are extremely quick and easy to put up, but I'm not convinced about then standing up to serious weather.

Khyam are also qick to put up and more of a 'serious' tent than Quecha but I don't think they are as well made these days compared to the early Khyam's.

I have a Vaude Hogan tent that has had some serious use over almost 20 years and it's still going strong. Due to the shock cord lacing system there is no need to thread poles through the fabric and hence it is very quick and easy to put up, about 5 mins fully pegged and guyed. The MarkII is similar but bigger and they even do a long version for those who need a little extra, see here. I would have bought a MarkII when looking for a 3 person tent if I hadn't got a killer deal on a Mountain Hardware Trango, but that isn't as quick and easy to pitch.

Vaude

Vaude

Vaude

Can i say it too many times? I have the mark II, i'd have got the Mark II long if i knew they did it then.

As has been said, you can pitch the thing in literally seconds. I would happily pitch it in 60 seconds if someone asked me too. it's quick.

It's well made, I've given mine some abuse, including the peaks in march (legal camping - marshalling), in -10c and v. strong winds.

vaude.jpg

I like the symetrical design, good for ventilation in the summer and cooking in the winter.

Depends on your budget really....personally, I think the best tents ever made are Terra Nova's.......but they can cost a fair few bob, but they are worth it. Well worth it.

The Quasar is simply stunning.....this is the gear that lives above 4000m most of its life, but will cost around the £400 mark, but will outlast anything else out there.

I have done a lot of high altitude mountaineering, and there are certain things you NEVER scrimp on.....tent, bag & cooking gear. The 3 things that will save your life.

Or you could get a £30 quid job from Millets, if its just a roof over your head your after, but they WILL leak, WILL fall down in a gust, WILL get on your nerves on day 2........!!

Ha-ha - Mo's getting a deeeevorce :D

Les.

No Les, I have Murphy Towers (the bigger tent) for all that malarky :D

You won't need a fancy tent really, it's just that if you are pitching it each evening and then packing it away each morning you want something nice and quick to erect (oo er ;) )

However my last little tent was a cheapy and during last summer's laning/camping trip to Surrey and Hampshire it need a little assistance in the heavy rain that was encountered ! Thus -

25-07-07_2023.jpg

Mo :)

This is my tent. Good in bad weather. Loads of storage , And can carry a whole kitchen with you And sits in one of the garages at home ready to hitch up and go :D
what can people recommend in the way of Tents.

Looking for 2 - 3 person tent, small, reasonably light and most importantly extremely quick and easy to put up.

Tent must be good to cope with some bad weather without leaking or falling over.

no need for storage space as this is going to be used for touring and expedition work!

:huh:

QUOTE (pugwash @ Dec 6 2007, 07:37 PM)

what can people recommend in the way of Tents.

Looking for 2 - 3 person tent, small, reasonably light and most importantly extremely quick and easy to put up.

Tent must be good to cope with some bad weather without leaking or falling over.

no need for storage space as this is going to be used for touring and expedition work!

Ok so i did not see the small bit and miss read the storage bit D'oh

But it is a 2-3 man and is take alot quicker than a tent to ut up :D

Another Vote for Khyam - it is a relatively recent one, so I can't comment on the accusations that the quality has dropped recently.

It is technically a 3 man tent, but sleeps 2 comfortably. I can put it up on my own in under 5 minutes, and pack it waya in a similar amount of time. To be fair it is a bit bulkier than a standard tent of the same capacity, but the speed and ease of putting it up makes up for that!

Very similar to this:

khyam_highlander_main.jpg

Vaude

Vaude

Vaude

Can i say it too many times? I have the mark II, i'd have got the Mark II long if i knew they did it then.

As has been said, you can pitch the thing in literally seconds. I would happily pitch it in 60 seconds if someone asked me too. it's quick.

It's well made, I've given mine some abuse, including the peaks in march (legal camping - marshalling), in -10c and v. strong winds.

vaude.jpg

I like the symetrical design, good for ventilation in the summer and cooking in the winter.

How much did this cost you?