ABS problem .. 1991 RRC

Mean Green

Hello All.

The ABS on my RRC is playing up .... big style!!! (nearly ended up running into oncoming traffic!)

As long as I have had the RR (almost 5 months) the ABS light has been more on than off, I reset the codes and it was fine for about a week then light was back on. (at all time it has braked perfectly)

Last night, I started up drove off and noticed no ABS light - good thinks I must have cleared - got the first T junction pressed brakes and brakes started clattering and pedal vibrating as tho it was in a skid .. and brakes were released, had to jump on the brakes to slow down and was just reaching for the handbrake when it came to a halt - just on the Stop line.

After about 5 mins driving, ABS light came on and everything was fine again.

Just been out in the car again and exactly the same has happened, poor braking action with vibrations and clatter.

Any ideas?

And if it does turn out to be a big problem, or until I can get it fixed, is there a way to disconnect the ABS and just run normal brakes.

is there a way to disconnect the ABS and just run normal brakes.

Yes mate,

Remove the valve relay (white 25a or yellow 20a I think) fuse in the ABS fuse box. Access from n/s after removing seat box side cover.

You'll know if you have the correct one as removing either of the other two will result in no brake lights (5a tan) or no abs pump (30a green) which you need.

Depends how astute your MOT man is. If he does a proper job as prescribed in the print out to check the ABS light etc, then no, because it will show up.

But as a stop gap until such time as you decide to fix it or rip it out it's fine. My fuse was removed for about 2 years (some might say it still is!). :)

Depends how astute your MOT man is. If he does a proper job as prescribed in the print out to check the ABS light etc, then no, because it will show up.

But as a stop gap until such time as you decide to fix it or rip it out it's fine. My fuse was removed for about 2 years (some might say it still is!). :)

Might be an issue with insurance, too - you'll probably need to tell your insurers that you no longer have ABS, as that's definitely going to be considered a modification if you have an accident.