Series IIA

TripTrick

Hi There,

Please can someone tell me how much oil a Series IIA Gearbox takes? Also the Transfer box please...

I have just redone my Gearbox after breaking the main Shaft and I filled it this evening and I had put in 5L of oil and it had not come out of the oil plug on the side yet... I suspect something wrong as this seems to be alot of oil... I see the Series 3 only takes 1,5L in the main gearbox and 2.5L in the transfer box... I assumed the Series IIA would be similar?

Thanks in advance for the help.

you say you 'redone', exactly what have you done?

if you've had them apart, did you change the oil seal between main box and transfer box?

i suspect ypu're filling the main box and its flowing into the transfer box, this seal is never brilliant anyway.

If you've put 5-litres in the main box and none has come out of the filler hole then I would say that it's going into the transfer case too. The seal sits in a housing around the input shaft, as you can see in this picture -

med_gallery_2_315_1492953.jpg

When I stripped this gearbox the seal was missing and there was quite a bit of damage to the gears - including a broken reverse.

med_gallery_2_315_1134195.jpg

Les.

Ok, I found the issue, it kept filling the rear compartment with the 5L, I opened the side filler plug and most ran out leaving what I assume to be the correct level inside the rear comparment. (the one where the Overdrive used to be bolted to)

Then I filled the front compartment (Under the selectors) with about 2L before it ran out of that filler hole...

Is this fine? Please excuse my ignornace but I am not very Mechanical and am learning now eventually on my Landy.

I am worried that Bowie69 asks if there oil in the transfer case? Is it not supposed to have?

The gearbox now has a New Mainshaft with all the gears transfered from the old broken shaft.

I have also not re installed the overdrive and have put the original gear back on.

Various Bearings and Gaskets also done along the way. However, I did not do the Oil seal as I was told by the chaps that were assisting me that it is fine?

Should have bought that Series IIA Workshop Manual... :P

Also now my clutch does not want to engage as I have replaced the Slave Cylinder aswell now I think I have air in the system, but I cannot seem to get rid of it by bleeding it as it still does not want to engage correctly.

the transfer box does need oil in it, i suspect that the oilseal is old and leaky allowing oil from main box into transfer box.

as for bleeding the clutch, is the new slave cylinder installed the right way up? the bleed nipple should be uppermost.

as for bleeding the clutch, is the new slave cylinder installed the right way up? the bleed nipple should be uppermost.

Thanks for the info... Yes the Slave cylinder can only really go in one way... So it is in like the old one was.... It just seems to have so much air from somewhere... White Foamy liquid every time I open the Bleed nipple.

Suppose I just need to do this a alot more to get it right as I cannot select any gears currently

On the drivers side of the engine there is a flexible pipe for the clutch. Put a clamp on the pipe (mole grips are fine, but not too tight). Then try to press the clutch pedal and if it's still soft then the master cylinder seals have worn. A complete clutch master cylinder isn't very expensive.

I'd like to know how you can look at an oil seal and determine that it's ok. You should always replace the seal after seperating the two boxes. If it is leaking, then it's major work to put it right.

Les.