12V winch @ 24V

smo

My take is

The 12v winch at 24v will run very fast under no load, but as soon as you apply a load it will probably burn out.

The 24v winch at 12v will probably burn out too as it may not produce enough back emf to limit the current to a safe level.

The easiest way to burn a starter motor out is to try to start an engine with a flat battery,

Whether the motors are series or parallel wound, or permanent magnet could have an effect.

I2R comes into play, so in theory the motor should run cooler as the current is less ………..but its not quite that simple, as we are not dealing with pure resistance……….windings have inductance and capacitance……… also other factors come into play…………..

I have it on good authority, that if you use two 12V motors to drive the winch and power them from 24V, then this is a competition winning formula …. gallery_269_31_1193.gif

However……would connect your domestic vacuum cleaner up 3 phase 415V to see if it cleaned the room quicker ?

:)

Ian

I LOVE READING THIS STUFF IT IS VERY FUNNY.

Reality............

All the top Aussie teams run 24v through 12v motors.

Most expect a life expectancy of somewhere around 18months to 2 years from there motors.

Tjhe difference is they service there motors regularly, blowing out the carbon dust etc...

There winching is very voilent and extremely hard. The reason they use 24 through 12 is that it is like Nitro charging your winch, it will pull like hell and never give in and at great speed.

What actually kills the motors is over revving. This usally occurs when winching cable out of load.

The Aussies have got over this by using free spool systems, however there are people that don't.

Paul Wightman has been running 12v Xp's with 24v going through them for over a year with no troubles and they are still has fit as the day he fitted them.

The only really usefull bit of info in this thread so far is the person that wrote "Flat batteries kill motors" this is correct.

Three of our Twins have just done the Rain forest challenge unfortunately all the teams had to be rescued and 50 cars left in jungle due to severe monsons and flooding, but those using 24 through 12 suffered no problems and were amazed at what they where having to pull through just to stay out of danger.

So there it is, Yes you can. But do remember to pulse the out button if you are paying out. If you want to see how quick they are i recommend watching the Alpine challenge 2007, where almost all the cars were using twin motor setups (either ours or Wazzas) resulting in 5 of the top 6 places for us and ALL including the rest of the top ten using 24 through 12.

Doing stuff that most would call impossible and almost ALL will never do.

Waiting for the fun to start :lol:

Jim

Sorry forgot to say.............

The motors do not get over hot doing this either, we have found that they stay cool to medium temp 125ft long pulls

However if the batteries get low.......The heat builds up very quickly.

I have run 24 through 12 myself many times, but i must tell you that i have destroyed motors by over revving them.

I however have NEVER destroyed one by over heating or burning out.

Jim

I think, like Jez was implying, that 125ft is not a particularly long pull……………. but then again, how often do you need to pull more than 100ft ……………… in reality, most of what we do is much less then that………………apart from the bunch of fairies that are trying to pull themselves around a 1000km lake surrounded by a bottomless bog……… :lol:

I must say Jim………… you were quick to take my bait ……….. but hey, its all in good fun……….. :P

On a more serious note, I can well see the advantages of powering std 12V motors with 24V, however, it just doesn’t seem the right and proper thing to do, and those with no electrical sympathy stand a good chance of creating a grand f*** up …………. however, the same can be said of hydraulics if you get it wrong ……………….

I think we are now close to the stage where the gap between hydraulic & electrical winches has sufficiently closed that it all comes down to personal choice and how much you want to spend……………

Merry Xmas…………. :rolleyes:

:)

Ian

Agreed :D

Which is why i choose to use faster (+13, +25, +40% ) gear ratios and 24v through 24v in this country. Personal choice is everything.

So do not be put off trying something you would not normally do, if we don't try different things and approaches we would still be using hand winches.

ALL winches (if they work) are worth there weight in gold, so is experimentation. So go and have a play see where it takes you.

Hydraulic or Electric is like saying Labour or Conservative, the only difference you could chuck the later in the ocean and no one would give a damn :lol:

LOL

Jim

So the next question is - what is the best way of running 12V general elecs, and 24V winching elecs from 2x 12V batteries and 12V alternator???

don't, fit a 24v alternator and two 12v batteries in series for 24v winch circuit and keep standard 12v circuit with it's own 12v battery for Dlander

Cheers

Steve

So the next question is - what is the best way of running 12V general elecs, and 24V winching elecs from 2x 12V batteries and 12V alternator???

One solution would be to fit two alternators, one connected to the normal battery, the other to 2nd one BUT the -ve of the 2nd is connected to the +ve of the first so the case of the 2nd alternator would have to be isolated fom earth.