Roll Cages

Right then...

Hypothetical question - ;)

Let's say I was in the market for a roll cage for my 110. Who should I be speaking to and where should I go? More to the point, what sort of prices should I be looking at? !!

I've seen what appear to be some really nice fabrications by Protection and Performance, as well as some similar ones from RJ Harvey. Safety Devices look to be a bit dearer, but again, well designed.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Matt

Have a little look at QT and North Off-Road.

Prices have been coming down and down but quality is obviously VITAL in this matter - have a good look at the product as well as the bottom line. A few people on here have had some mixed experiences with the various suppliers, I'm sure they'll PM you direct.

McS

North off road as fitted to JSTs 90 by far the best I've seen

P&P ask Tangoman about the joints near the fuel tank on his

QT ask Stefan on J33P about his one(he had Devon 4x4 re do the welding)

RJ harvey I have no experience

Saftey devices you'll need to sell the 110 to fund it

Safety Devices are out of business IMHO.

JST's cage is beautiful - very nicely made indeed.

You really shouldn't look to scrimp and save when getting a cage - a good one will protect all roof and side panels that would cost a fortune to replace. A poor cage will deform on even a small roll meaning you have to replace the cage as well as the panels, doors etc.

RJHarvey quoted me £900 ex vat to fit one to the 90.

Safety Devices make everything in Poland now so beware of the quality considering the price you will have to pay.

If you have a bespoke cage made it will fit your vehicle.

Try all4wheels.com Dave who make the cages there used to be the foreman at Safety Devices

Also call Chris Blackburn at DME Motorsport 01933 442030. He makes roll cages (used to do it for the rally sector) He can make exterior roll cages that do not require cutting into the body to fit, as they extend down to rocksliders. He will do one fitted for around £600.

John

Either SD or North off road would get my money. SD's not cheap but I've been very happy with mine. The finish is very tough and they tubing follows the body very nicely. I've sat on and smacked quite a few trees and winched the vehicle over on it and its still the shape it should be.

North Off Road do simerlarly designed cages and, having seen James I'm going to talk to them about doing the cage when I go king cab.

The only major name I don't know about is Ray Harvey. The others I've heard some good, some not so good, reports.

SD sold all there blue prints to PP anyway

What I have seen of PP's work is very nice and high profile truck use it.

Stunning do all the work on my 90 cage which is on its second due to changing from a van to a pick up.

I have tested in racers his other work and walked away unharmed ofter a 50mph cart wheel 12 months apart

He made Tony's cage

£650 fitted or so (may have been £690) from North Off road. 90 truck cab. 52mm CDS

he will do a std design then add bits to your preference if needed.

My priority after safety was i wanted a tight fit to the body, especially on top so it fitted in the garage. i only had 3" gap above the truck cab and the cage is 2" dia! And yes it fits.

Its welded to front outriggers and bolted to rear. he added a cross behind the bulkhead, plus cant bars as well as the three over the top of the roof. Nothing extra charged for the additional work.

I was quoted anything from £800 fitted upto £998 just supplied down in around here (SW) so for the £650 fitted in 2 days it was worth the journey up there.

i think hardtop ones are around £850 for 90, didnt enquire as to 110 prices sorry.

i would advise full external, including diagnols on the sides and roof.

So far very pleased with it and cant fault it. but then i havent rolled it to test fully.

I’ve recently ordered mine flat packed, complete with front & rear chassis mounting brackets from Dave Marsh @ QT, as I prefer to weld it myself to get the correct fit ;) .

Hopefully it will be ready to collect in early December (awaiting tube delivery). I have heard of some quality problems with the tube bending, but I understand that this issue was sorted quickly. A big plus is that QT are nearby ……. £370 + the dreaded :D .

Ian

£650 fitted or so (may have been £690) from North Off road. 90 truck cab. 52mm CDS

he will do a std design then add bits to your preference if needed.

My priority after safety was i wanted a tight fit to the body, especially on top so it fitted in the garage. i only had 3" gap above the truck cab and the cage is 2" dia! And yes it fits.

Its welded to front outriggers and bolted to rear. he added a cross behind the bulkhead, plus cant bars as well as the three over the top of the roof. Nothing extra charged for the additional work.

I was quoted anything from £800 fitted upto £998 just supplied down in around here (SW) so for the £650 fitted in 2 days it was worth the journey up there.

i think hardtop ones are around £850 for 90, didnt enquire as to 110 prices sorry.

i would advise full external, including diagnols on the sides and roof.

So far very pleased with it and cant fault it. but then i havent rolled it to test fully.

did they reinforce the front outriggers? in standard form they are really not strong enough. A decent cage will have reinforce chassis mount points. The ones in the camel (SD) will protect me in a normal roll but they vehicle will be totally kaput. In a competition roll they are not strong enough.

A good cage should mount be mounted to additonal or reinforced out riggers (6mm steel) The rear stays will come down to the the floor and 6mm plate. The chassis will then be built up using 6mm to meet the floor pan. The rollover hoop will also meet the floor and the chassis will agin be built up meet the feet with 6mm plate. The roll over hoop will also need to be diagonally braced to stop deformation.

Thanks guys.

Food for thought if nothing else ;)

I've had a mooch on the North Off Road website and they seem quite good - esp from what you say James.

I've been thinking about a full external anyway.... just have to earn some brownie points (and ask Santa!)

Thanks again - much appreciated :D

Matt

I've got some pictures of the Protection and Performance cages at Billing if anyone wants to see them. I think the only ones I've got uploaded are these:

CageMount1.jpg

CageMount2.jpg

PM me if you want any more posted or emailed.

Richard

is that the standard out rigger?

and does it square(read not as strong as tube pound for pound) get welded or just wobble around on that ickle little bolt?

Thought I might as well put a few more pictures up, this was from their bolt together cage so they might make a stronger version???

Cage1.jpg

Cage2.jpg

Cage3.jpg

Cage4.jpg

Cage5.jpg

Cage6.jpg

Richard

pretty springs to mind. Would i trust my life to a couple of exhaust clamps

As said

No Diagnal Brace on main hoop.

Smaller Cage tube than recomended 48.3mm - 50mm cds 2.8

Chassis mounting are frankly a joke.....................

And ask Ripley re fiting of the SD "competion Race cage" hopeless, ...he said it would have been quicker to kake his own.

The external cage is "OK" but I wouldn't wnat to trust my life to it (or any cage with no brace) in a BIG shunt....

Thats why in the end I had to make my own, VERY strong mountuings on the chassis (took 2 weeknds) proper size tube, fishmnouthed on all joints, double cross inside and a RPITFA to make...

I made it cos everyone I spoke to said "Yes we can do that " until I sent them exactly what I wnated then they all shuffled feet and said "er...sorry NON"

QT....don't make me laugh, bought 2 front hoops from him to save time, sent them back for refund, hoops had wall failure where the bender had over radiused the bends...very dangerous...

Consider making your own if you can weld and fabricate, do NOT skimp, your life may depend on it....

If intersted I did do a post on the darkside on the cage, how to make it, fittings and mountings etc, can find and repost if intersted ?

Nige

Edited by Hybrid_From_Hell

Nige you post is in the Tech archive

if you would be so kind as to add to it I can drag it out for you then put it back safley away

PS

JSTs cage has the best cage/chassis mounts I've seen apart from Nigels which are a similar standard.

Pete Barrett made mine and I'm happy with it but

if I get another I'll be off the North Developments as Nige won't make me one.

Edited by white90

Tony,

I had no idea !..

Frankly the tech forum gets better and better, needs some sort of quick index ?

Some (actaully a lot) of the photo links don't seem to work, probably cos I am clearing out the photobucket account of the old L*E site (sort of the Macbeth of Forums "the name we must never speak) (Blackadder fans only will get this !) post photos, and therefor they are broken links, I'll redo and let you have it all again

Nige

Edited by Hybrid_From_Hell

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy