Even more bling!!

M,

Flat plate (as in pic) can be easily laser cut (inc the d4x4 logo), whereas the tube type take more work and from a manufacturing point iof view flat plate laser cut is cheaper etc.

Can't really see why anyone would bother (cept blinging) to fit either typres over the std one - unless you are altering heights.....

Personally don't really like them,

Nige

unless you are altering heights.....

Personally don't really like them,

Nige

I'm not going to change the old turrets,

but I just liked the appearance of these...

:)

If I had to alter heights...well...

:rolleyes:

How's going with your front setup ,BTW?

P.S.

(cept blinging

Do not underestimate the power of bling...

:lol:

Edited by Michele

I've just never seen any point in changing from the std shock turrets, unless you need different length ones or want to fit twin shocks or something. I've never seen a turret break except from old age/corrosion which can affect anything, the only bit that is a weak point is the stupid retaining ring which holds it on, though even those only seem to break when you try and take it off! I suppose it might be a different story if you are racing or something.

I suppose if somebody has spent a zillion quid on some fancy shockers and value for money dictates that they need people to be able to see their new acquisition then there might be a reason for it :lol:

This always made me smile:

"The ******** front shock absorber turrets are designed for heavy off road use. (...)The specific design provides a better ventilation of the shock absorbers in order to increase their efficiency"

(!)

:lol:

The specific design provides a better ventilation of the shock absorbers in order to increase their efficiency

Actually, that mightn't be as silly as it first sounds. Drive for an hour on some of our heavily corrugated roads here in Australia, and the shock absorbers will soon be too hot to touch. :o That is, after all, what they do - convert kinetic energy into heat.

Open designs IMHO have two advantages.

1 Easier to wash the crud out (Mmmm...not sure how useful this is)

2 If you are trying to remove a shock and you don't have a rattle-gun, you can grip the shaft with a paiir of mole grips (gently) while you undo the nut.

Sometimes, even with a rattle gun, this is useful. For this reason alone - open design every time!

The D44 one looks like something from the gadget shop! Just needs some blue LED's

Si

• 2 weeks later...

The orginal Landy turrets may be alright for British roads. But African roads eat them. Our travel partner Baldrick had to replace 3 turrets in 3 months on our trip from the Uk down to Cape Town. In all three cases the top weld had fractured so that the shock absorber was sticking out with the top ring attached.

In my case I had the tubular design and had no problems. The only difference could have ben that I was running on Gas shocks and Baldrick on the standard. After blowing two sets of shocks in Sudan in 4 days, he purchase a set of Gas shocks in Kartoum and then had no problems.

I agree...

Even if most common use is to fit that as part of an "exxxtreme" setup for trialling which I fear doesn't involve much of desert driving...?

:(

In Aus you don't have to go to the deserts, the shocks can get very hot on some of our highways (so called).

Last weekend I took the car on a short (3 1/2 hour) trip to a meeting. The potholes on one stretch of highway caused the relays for starter and EFI to fall out and the battery mounts failed, resulting in a battery on it's side and lost half of the electrolyte.

In Aus you don't have to go to the deserts, the shocks can get very hot on some of our highways (so called).

(...)the relays (...)to fall out and the battery mounts failed

:o

I presume "highways" are so called because they're long and straight but no tarmac?

:unsure:

Or just not kept in shape?

What the f**k does it matter what they look like!! Do they work? How much?

What a load of boll**ks - they look more purposeful

Cheers

Steve :)

Maybe I should have said 'functional' ;) With a hot dip galv finish and lower price to boot.

Qsuspension5.jpg