Fuel Pump Hand Timing

gobby

Hi,

I'm about to take my 110 down for an MOT on Monday but the exhaust is quite smoky. A bit of this is due to fuel that has been in the tank for at least 6 months, probably a lot longer. I did a top-end rebuild on the 2.5NAD and took the opportunity to fit a new belt. I'm fairly sure that this is only due to pump timing so was following the thread in the tech archive for replacing a pump and it mentions doing pump timing by hand if you don't have the pin. Finally my question, it says to turn the pump anti-clockwise to stop smoke but is this looking towards the drivers seat or to the front?

Thanks for any help.

Ian

Sorry that this advice may come too late Ian.

I do not have a TD but I have a 200Tdi which also uses pins to time it - one in the flywheel and one in the pump pulley. If you have a 9.5mm drill bit then you will find that it (the blunt end!) fits rather neatly in the pump gear. With this set, go underneath and you should be able to see the flywheel through the wadeing plug hole in the bell housing. The slot should be aligned with the hole. If it is then all well and good. If not, loosen the pump timing bolts and adjust the crank position as needed to get the timing slot in the flywheel aligned and then tighten the bolts, remove the drill bit and replace the cover.

HTH

Chris

The 2,5 NAD is a completely different animal than a Tdi.

I can't tell you which way to turn the pump to stop the smoke, but I can tell you how to do a reasonably correct timing without pins.

In the engine bellhousing, about 1-2 o'clock seen from behind and akward to get to, is a plug. That's the position for the pin that sets the crank in position. I think it indicates TDC... If you turn the flywheel real slow, sooner or later you can see a cutout. That's where the pin is meant to go to lock the crank. You can position that exactly in the middle of the hole and not touch the crank any more. Perhaps the front pulley is marked for TDC as well, mine wasn't.

On the side of the pump is a plug sitting in a "bracket" held on with two smaller screws. Take out the plug and this is where the timing tool is engaged. Inside is "some wheel" with a dimple. This dimple should be exactly in the middle of this hole when timing is correct. I managed to find it with the help of a mirror, but the timing was spot on, so no need for adjustment. If you don't find the dimple, try to turn the engine one full turn again, as the pump goes half speed of the crank.

Raffo, I was all interested in that link to the DPS pump details, just in case it linked onto an English language Service Document, but even though I don't read Itallian I recognise the word 'errore'.

Am I barred because I'm not a Forum member? (or is it a broken link)?

Thanks.

Thanks for the response from everyone.

I was a little concerned with the smoking on the engine but as it failed on some other bits, I should at least have the time to get it done a bit more accurately before re-presenting it.

Ian