users of salisbury plain

pux

This has been copied and pasted form a club i help run so please ignore the way its worded its just for people information and i hope that you may help keep the plains sensible before we loose some more lanes.

Hello and thanks for looking, Today me den and dale went out to start recceing the lanes for the bomb hole challange while we were out we come across a lane that pretty much anyone that use's salsibury plain will have been though at some point.

Were to start i was gobsmacked when i came over the hill to see the sight that presented it self to me and den and dale, infact i was sat there for about 5 mins speech less (thats hard for me) What people have been doing as you will be able to see in the picture is avoiding the the main route through the puddle which is pretty deep now and making there own tracks around it, now seven weeks ago when i last went through there this was no where near as bad as the state its in now.

Also certain idiots (no one from this club i hope) have been doing all kinds of mad stunts in this place, as when we finally found a land warden we asked if this lane could be blocked of in certain parts to make sure people stick to the track, and he told us what people had been doing last weekend and how many he had booked for doing it they have taken a decision not close the track as this would force the users else where.

So what we as a club are getting it is if you intend on useing this route then please do but go through the puddle not around it!!!!! if your vehicle is not capable then don't attempt this route so once again if you are out representing www.plcuk.co.uk then please try to avoid this route if you can just to try and give it time regenerate. Also if you have any problems on the plains with other users being a naughty please try to get photos and pass them onto me or den and we will pass them onto a land warden for you it's time people learned that the plain is a not one big play ground and they treat it with respect that it deserves.

Im sorry this seems a bit of a rant but as you can tell i feel very strongly about this please look at the photo and i hope you may feel the same as i do looking at it.

Oh and on inspection of the tyre tracks in the mud and tracks around the puddle there purely civvi tyres not military tyres And if you are using a simex or copy tyre on a green lanes please think do you really need them for a greenlane, that is the main reason i got shot of mine as i have stopped play and break and concetrating on greenlanes.

ohmygod.jpg

Where abouts on the plain is this as it looks pretty messy
it's up on the east side of the german village "copenhill down" i can get you a 6 figure grid refrence from a miliatry map but i dont have a civvi os map to hand :huh:

The last time I went through that puddle it wasn't as deep as it looks. Only just came to the bumper. But I see what you mean about people bypassing it, makes a real mess of the area. Was contemplating going for a few lanes this week. Maybe I won't bother

The last time I went through that puddle it wasn't as deep as it looks. Only just came to the bumper. But I see what you mean about people bypassing it, makes a real mess of the area. Was contemplating going for a few lanes this week. Maybe I won't bother
Walfy, i spoke with chris moore the land warden for that area, and he is more than happy for people to use it aslong as they are responsible i.e not going bonkers in the mud :rolleyes: so if i use it now the only way for me is through the puddle no other way. Im about most of the week on leave so will be around that area with the dog just if you see a disco with a big union jack (yes i know its not a union jack :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) on the bonnet give us a wave :D

I may well pop out for a drive then. I'm not on leave till Fri but I've got tomorrow off to take delivery of the new 90. I doubt if er indoors will let me take that over there for a play :o . May go for a drive on Wed pm.

If anyone is out and about drop us a PM as i'll be leaving the area soon for cornwall and would be nice to meet a few of the locals
im going out tomorrow morning for a most of the day ill be around :D

Guest diesel_jim
Hi ciderman im sorry i dont have a os ref only a miliatry one :(

Mil maps have the same OS references as civvy OS ones don't they? all the mil maps i've got of SPTA match up to civvy ones.

Guest diesel_jim

I tried deleting the map, but too much time has passed for me to edit the post.

although in saying that, it is a legal RoW, so no real point in trying to hide it... they're for everyone to use.

I would like to say what a responsible attitude pux shows.

If only the people causing the mess had showed just a smidgen of the same, eh?

We have the same problem on Hereward Way: there's a big mudhole halfway along that is actually on the route of the lane. Trouble is that in the last couple of years there is now around three ways in to this hole and people keep chewing up the surrounding area as they turn. What made it worse is that a certain club decided to show on a public forum (very wise!) pics of them doing it!!!

Can't figure some people: If you want to play in mud with tractor tyres go pay and play for pity sake.

Some of us want to keep the lanes open and in good nick for everyone to use.

Since I have the power I have removed the map/quote. Hope you guys do not mind.

Jamie, of course it is a public ROW and any idiot can go there. I do feel that we should not offer such opportunities to these people on a plate though. Remember that there are a lot of people who read this forum who are not the same sensible, considerate, responsible users as the members of this forum.

Chris