Who's the best new landrover chassis supplier?

Steve 90

i've seen plenty of chassis from richards that were stitched, they might be fully welding now i dont no, prob realised that they should be fully welded na like designa's are..

as for being fully welded creating built up stress, it all depends how there welded and if the welder is'nt a carp welder and he knows what he's doing, and if there was any build up of stress through welding (which a good manufacturer would make sure of) the temp that galv takes the chassis upto its more or less lost anyway.

My series 3 one from Richards was fully welded....

I looked at a Richards chassis at Billing - in fact the challenge special chassis roughly based on the one they did for jim. It was obviously fully welded, but they had chosen to 'double' skin the base of the chassis. Basically they had added an extra skin of 2.5 mm steel allong the base of the chassis to reduce chassis damage from rocks. This had been stitch welded on as it was an addition the the base chassis, i.e. the basic chassis strenght was allready there before the extra steel was added. Hence no need to fully weld. Now I don't agree with the idea of the extra steel due to wieght, but they clearly were fully welding their base chassis as you would expect to find on any standard 90/110, etc.

I was actually quite impressed with them, when we discussed mods they were more than happy to accomodate special one off's. I also thought that they were pretty switched on with different ideas. If I wanted a new chassis I would seriously consider them.

However, all replacement chassis maufactuers seem to use 2.5mm thick steel to minimise distortion. LR used 1.9 mm on the pressed U sections that make up the OEM chassis. Therefore a replacement chassis will be ~ 1/3 heavier than a LR chassis. If you want to save wieght/build a light truck this makes them a bad option in my opinion.......

Just my thought's

Adrian

We thought the same Adrian,

But with the mods we required it was easier to get a new one to our own spec from Richards.

Imagine our suprise when after all the modifactions etc, we wieghed the beast after Galving it and found it to be 10KG lighter than a standard replacement even with the extra armour underneath.

However i do not know how much heavier than a standard (If at all) it is.

I will make some enquires :)

Jim

Ps: EVERY chassis i have seen from Richards is fully welded, oh and they fit, unlike some others :rolleyes::lol:

I have had 4 chassis from Richards now and all have been fully welded and I have never had any problems with them.

The 1st was a series 1 chassis and at that time they were the only people who did a series 1 chassis, the quality was good so when I needed a 90 chassis I went back to them.

I still have the series 1 chassis 7 years later and the chassis is still fine with no sign of any corrosion. :D