classic rangerover

stevie1690

Hello their im new 2 the rangie scene so please b patient in case i ask some silly questions but i've jst bought a 1989 rangie 3.5 efi auto with head gasket leaking firstly can i tow it with an a-frame without removing propshafts ( 300 miles ) or am i better 2 trailer it and when i do the head gasket do i need to skim the heads cheers stevie

Regarding the heads - take them to a good engineering shop and have them tested for "straightness".

If they have warped then get them skimmed. Make sure you know how much they take off and the thickness of the existing gasket so you can put back a gasket of the required thickness to compensate for the loss of material.

Definitely trailer it.

On the heads, get them measured and get a price for skimming. I'd be inclined to fit the later composite head gasket as a matter of course, it's slightly thicker but is supposed to be much better. Also leave out the outer row of short head bolts as per later engines as they were found to actually distort the heads slightly.

While you're shopping for gaskets, the Real Steel rubber rocker cover gaskets (DW960) are a worthwhile investment.

Join AA then 24hrs later drive up the road and phone them telling them you need recovering ot said address 300miles away

Problem solved

Or was I the onlyone that used to be a member of green flag for that very reason before I owned my own trailer :ph34r:

Definitely trailer it.

On the heads, get them measured and get a price for skimming. I'd be inclined to fit the later composite head gasket as a matter of course, it's slightly thicker but is supposed to be much better. Also leave out the outer row of short head bolts as per later engines as they were found to actually distort the heads slightly.

While you're shopping for gaskets, the Real Steel rubber rocker cover gaskets (DW960) are a worthwhile investment.

I got my heads crack tested too, the skim wasn't too pricey.

I'll second the composite gasket recommendation. the tin ones are made out of the same stuff that stanley use for their knife blades.

Trying to get the valley gasket out resulted in the following exhange

Ouch!

Bugger!

Ouch!

f**k!

Ouch!

B*stard

Ouch!

Sh*t not again!

etc

etc

etc

Getting the replacement in was slightly less painful because I now had my welding gauntlets on!!

HTH