Starter problem?

Comical Engineer

Disco 300tdi. 130k miles.

This morning, middle or Morrisons petrol station, turned the engine off while the bloke in front filled up. Truned the key on mine and ....... nothing. The lights went dim but not starter action. Aaaargh. And I was right next to a woman who had just filled her Merc ML270 (diesel) with unleaded! Oh joy.

Two helpful policemen turned up and offered to push me out of the way. Just as I was about to accept, turned the key and ..... the darn thing burst into life. Drove out without filling up and went to work.

At the office, safely in the car park, tried the key again and nothing. Lights went dim but no starter motor noises. Tried again 30seconds later and it started. <_<

That said, I have noticed the starter being a bit sluggish on a couple of mornings but the battery seems to be ok. It turns over well enough but slowly, on occasion very slowly but has so far always started. Charging at 14 volts and the battery shows 12.6 off charge so I'm suspecting the starter motor.

Question: Is it likely to be the starter motor or just the solenoid?

If it's the motor, then how easy to fit / remove and how much.

Happy Christmas, BAH, HUMBUG :(

Actually, I've just found Les Henson's excellent post in the tech section.

Disco 300tdi. 130k miles.

This morning, middle or Morrisons petrol station, turned the engine off while the bloke in front filled up. Truned the key on mine and ....... nothing. The lights went dim but not starter action. Aaaargh. And I was right next to a woman who had just filled her Merc ML270 (diesel) with unleaded! Oh joy.

Two helpful policemen turned up and offered to push me out of the way. Just as I was about to accept, turned the key and ..... the darn thing burst into life. Drove out without filling up and went to work.

At the office, safely in the car park, tried the key again and nothing. Lights went dim but no starter motor noises. Tried again 30seconds later and it started. <_<

That said, I have noticed the starter being a bit sluggish on a couple of mornings but the battery seems to be ok. It turns over well enough but slowly, on occasion very slowly but has so far always started. Charging at 14 volts and the battery shows 12.6 off charge so I'm suspecting the starter motor.

Question: Is it likely to be the starter motor or just the solenoid?

If it's the motor, then how easy to fit / remove and how much.

Happy Christmas, BAH, HUMBUG :( Actually, I've just found Les Henson's excellent post in the tech section.

Must be catching as I have same prob with my 300tdi .... i have twin batteries loads of juice and a starter with a mind of its own.

there is no sluggishness, no click, just action or dead :(

Razzle frazzle flucking worzle ferggers :angry:

Just as well it didn't stall during my water crossing the other day :lol:

can you direct me to Les's post?

Ta

I'd check the lead onto the starter motor first, it is a spade connection and if loose/corroded can cause intermittent starting.

Next thing is to do the "spider test" when it won't start i.e. check you have 12V at the above mentioned spade.

After that I would think it is the starter motor/solenoid may be worth changing the solenoid but a new complete motor gives more peace of mind ;)

Did the lights go dim when you turned the key to crank, or just when you switched it on i.e. the current drain from the heater plugs?

The battery voltages sound OK to me.

If nothing at all happens when you turn the key then it would be a weak connection on the solenoid itself (this is very common), or the contacts inside the ignition switch itself.

A weak click means that at least part of the solenoid is working, either the contacts inside it, or the motor brushes aren't making contact - although the latter usually makes the motor turn slowly as if the battery is flat.

Les.

Top man Les!

It turns slowly (most of the time) as if the battery is flat (which it isn't).

sound like the motor is clapped out then.

Right then, looks like I'm off to buy a new starter motor for Christmas.

Any ideas on best (& cheap!) supplier. Chester / Northwich area would be helpful.

DefCol: Les' Post on 300tdi starter motors:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...l=starter+motor

Les,

Any advice on where to get Valeo ones from? I've tried my local parts place and they only sell britpart ones - he doesn't know what they actually are but as Britpart source the cheapest I guess prestolite, paddocks only do prestolite.

Cheers

I`m having starter problems with a td5 i have a post on this page titled "starter issues". Your problem sounds similar to mine, i replaced the whole starter motor which is a very easy job, but now i have the same problem with this one. As you said complete motors arn`t cheap so i`m looking into getting a repair pack which contains contacts,plunger,ect. If you follow the link which Bogmonster posted it gives you a link to sas components who supply them. As for some one near Northwich Chester have you tried Landranger services in Middlewich you can build a complete Landrover from their stock room. thier number is 01606 834981.BTW where are you?. ps they will also be able to supply you with a solenoid as a spare but not sure if they do it for TDI`s i know it`s available for TD5`s.

Good luck,

Foxminer.

Thanks for this info.

I've sourced a QH one from our local motor factors. Cost about £120. I have used QH stuff in the past and generally been well satisfied - I've also done work for QH factories in the UK so I know their standards.

I'm hoping to put it on at the weekend as I'm away for the next 2 days on business.

B) Sorted!

Took about an hour to do yesterday afternoon.

Will add a few comments to Les' post on doing this job. Like you will need an extra joint in your fingers!

Actually was pretty easy once I realised that I should have taken out the bolt next to the engine block (the difficult one) first and you need an 18" (0.5m) square drive extension bar which has to be inserted behind the turbo from the front of the engine. To do this it needs to come up from under the intercooler and be wriggled through from the front of the engine avoiding all of the various pipes.

The square drive handle then can be turned from below the alternator. Requires some BF&I (brute force & ignorance) to get it started and long arms.

Putting the new one on was a doddle.

Now starts fine. :)