Power Steering pulley bolts wont come off!!

an impact gun is the best way forward, if you don't have acces to one, you can gain a similar effect by using a socket and t-bar (or similar) and using a hammer to deliver the impact - exactly the same theory, the impulse moves the bolt but has less effect on the inertia of the pulley/pump.

Having the belt as tight as possible will obviously help. I took the pump off, bracket and all, and did the above on the bench.

I dont have an impact wrench so its one of the other methods, i would pop over but as i have stripped the rest out i wont be going anywhere till tomorrow!! The pry bar sounds good or take the whole thing off also. I tried the hammer but again the belt just slipped.

Thanks for the help will have a go tomorrow am and if i have more probs i will see where i can go from there!!

Cheers

Put a longer M8 coarse bolt in the hole of the one you took out and put a bar across to the chassis/other strong point until the bolt jams and stops the wheel from turning. Make sure the socket or spanner is a good fit on the bolt heads (even knock a 3/8" (I think they are 10mm), socket on.

Les.

Les, sorry i have stripped the rest of the stuff out, Alternator, water pump pulley all pipe work but have not removed any of the 3 10mm bolts on the power steering pump pulley. Once i have done one i will be able to the others with the M8 as you suggest but its just getting one of them out!!

I assume it is a serpentine belt? You need to take care not to damage the grooves in it but you might try a strap wrench or a chain wrench as used to remove pea traps from under sinks or to remove oil filters. Use an old leather belt wrapped round the pulley to protect it though. The harder you try to turn the pulley (by undoing the bolts) the tighter the wrench will grip it.

Chris

I took the pump off, placed the pump pulley vertically between to pieces of wood and carefully drove the truck up the wood, onto the pulley :o

Undid the bolts with a breaker bar.

I believe the recommended workshop method differs slightly :lol:

Finally got the baskets off and completed the job. I firstly attempted the pry bar but couldnt really wedge it on anything to hold it tight so got angry and threw that some where in the garden!! Then tried Tony's break the seal with a chiesel but think they are cemented in place! Then got really peeved and found the strap wrench and started to lean on that but it still moved (14st of me) so i obviously need more weight!! SO happened that me dad was indoors all 18st of him and that made the difference!! He leant on it and i gave it a tap come bash with the hammer to finally realease the bolts. So folks thanks for the ideas of wisdom but in the end the fat bloke from indoors came up trumps!!