Vapour builder 2007

white90

Oh dear. It IS Tuesday, isn't it. :rolleyes:

It had started off looking like Will was going to take most of the flak this time, so I thought I'd keep quiet and ride out the storm... :angry:

What would give you the most pleasure? A selection of my vaguely plausible excuses? Hearing my build plans (the detail of which has changed for the 1000th time)? A list of tools I've bought as a distraction to actually building the damn thing? The possibilities for comedy are endless! <_<

I am actually returning to England at the end of April, so my chief excuse is about to turn into vapour. :P

Apart from a small problem with the fuel system (vapour-lock, probably :rolleyes: ), the Mog 'should' actually run. I just removed the rotten load bed (partly to shorten the overhang, partly for fuel for my vapour-wood-burning-stove).

At the risk of subjecting myself to yet further ridicule, how about a 2008 Vape-Off? I have serious doubt that I'll make any real progress in 2008, but if my fellow vapour-builders are game, we could have a 'before and after' competition to assess progress during 2008?

So 'WILL'ing entrants only please - post up if you are game for beating me in the 2008 VAPE-OFF!!!

(Entry is limited to those who have genuine vapour-aspirations, rather than someone who has a big pile of bits and just needs about an hour an a half to turn it into a killer vehicle).

Whaddaya say - wusses? :P Bring it on!!!

Al.

Foolhardy. :rolleyes:

Ive got a new car........... :)

only prob is its still in my laptop...... :(

Is it one of those ones you print onto a sheet of paper then fold up to make a boxy looking car :lol:

Does a vapourware trophy actually exist or is it only imaginary? :unsure:

unfortunately I have to print it off and turn it into bent tube, ally, glass, cuts, burns, sleepless nights, several thousand empty fag packets and possible unemployment :( yay.

...and build Zuz's truck... no excuse now ;):D

Possible unemployment sounds dodgy though :(

Given that both have vehicles in a similar state to Mr Warne's, Dan & Jen could go on the list, although their starting points weren't dismantling a perfectly good truck plus I've seen evidence of work on both their builds recently - even if Dan seems to need a prod with a sharp stick quite regularly and keeps grumbling about not having a garage.

Surely being in America for 5 months and funding the big yellow money sponge (aka Charlie Camel) to prepare for said trip excluded us from actually being able to do anything?! That's a good excuse I reckon! ;):lol:

Still, I'd be up for the 2008 Vape-off, I now have 2 piles of carp sat on the drive (thanks Zuz! :)), 8 remaining fingernails and 3 uncut fingers, I reckon even attempting to build a Landy whilst all your tools are in America has got to be worth a few points for dedication - all we have left is a box of Homebase sockets, a pair of mole grips and a hammer.... :ph34r:

post-312-1197984607_thumb.jpg

(this is the only photo I have of the Rangy on my work computer)

Thinking about it I have nearly finished my build as I lowered my aspirations from a challenge truck to a marshall tow truck. That been on the road the whole time ;) and even now is although undergoing a minor front ARB rebuild it should getting MOT'd at about 4 pm today and is again on the road :)

So I need not be on the list :ph34r:

Still, I'd be up for the 2008 Vape-off

Is there going to be a prize/penalty for those that take part and either fail or succeed?

Perhaps a locked thread for progress reports on the build from only those taking part in it?

Completion is proved only by a new MOT certificate.

Perhaps some form of financial penalty (paid into the gin fund) for those that fail?

As a suggestion, I'll pay £100 into the gin fund if I fail to get catflap finished by 12th August 2008 (my birthday)

So..........who has a spine and who doesn't :D

Les.

I like it Les.

We should set our own goal (since completion in 2008 isn't necessarily on the cards for Will me some people).

We should also pledge our penalty for non-completion, of sufficient size to give an incentive not to pay it.

Not sure if the thread should be locked or not - would cut out the rubbish, but then where's the fun in that? I guess I'll be giving an update every Tuesday (whether I like it or not...). :(

So, I pledge upon failure to reach my objective: Forum Giveaway 3 (item & quantity to be decided - but I'll make it a good one, and without winners needing to contribute to the gin fund), plus 50 of your 'Earth Pounds' to the forum gin-fund.

Rather than set a specific goal now, I will simply put it to the public vote whether, by the end of 2008 I have made 'substantial progress' on my build. That is my goal.

Al.

About to regret it. ;)

Well, ok but August is too early! (August 2012 is probably too early too).

Maybe we just make it Christmas day 2008 and anyone still not 'done' gets to pay up?

Since I dunno which bit I'll build first, its hard to define a target apart from 'how far' I've got... I thought a public vote would be fairer than me saying 'haven't I done well to dust off my gearbox in 365 days?'.

Al.

You're missing the point Nige.

Its about self-delusion.

Vapour builders fully expect the carp we they talk to become reality. Otherwise who would be stupid enough to keep coming out with these outrageous claims in public, only to fall at the first hurdle?

No-one is going to pay by direct debit for the simple reason that they honestly believe they won't need to pay at all!

[PM me the bank details please mate?]

Al. :)

At the risk of being accused of going quiet and not being up for the challenge, I am up for the challenge but having had the risk of loosing my job in early 2009 become more of a reality this week and after spending 5 months (and almost all my money) abroad this summer, I'd rather save every penny than risk £100. I'm not going to have alot of money to spare and for that very reason am unlikely to be finished by the end of 2008. Quite happy to continue making our regular annual forum donation though and perfectly up for vapour build public humiliation ...after all, I've got to learn how to weld first :lol::ph34r:

...after all, I've got to learn how to weld first :lol::ph34r:

Don't worry about it, just get Will to fill an old ice cream tub with some pigeon poo and you can splooge it onto your joints with a spatula. If you need some tips on how exactly to do that, get him to show you his 'wrist technique'... :lol:

Ahem... Ok, thats why I thought coming up with your own 'penalty' is a good plan. It needn't be cash, just an incentive - how about making some of those biccies for the rest of us, or something? B)

Set your own target too - needn't be as unrealistic as 'completion' next year - it takes a lot of vapour-talk before you can come out with something THAT unlikely.

Al.

:)