Disco 200tdi into Defender

tommi

Hi

Not sure if this is in the right place, but here goes.

Will a 200tdi discovery engine with gearbox and transfer box, fit straight onto a 200tdi defender chassis - i.e. are the mounts in the right place? Will I need to fit a Steve Parker exhaust system (downpipe) - as people fitting 200tdi's into TD defenders have done? Are their any other complications I will come across?

Thanks in advance, Tom.

Engine will be fine but if you use the Disco g/box you'll run into trouble. The gear lever and t/box lever are the wrong way round and 1 will try to enter the cab via the seatbox. So it's either a lot of fab to do that or source a Def g/box.

Yes, but you will need to remove some of the studs from the disco bell hosuing and tap out some of the hoels for threads, i think you could just bolt the def bellhousing to the back of the disco lump though. problem solved.

yes you will still need the downpipe its due to the lower mounting position of the turbo.

see also here for another way of doing it:

another way of pipe connecting for intercooler

you have to cut a section out of the inner right wing of the defender for the turbo to fit, as the turbos on a defender 200tdi and disco 200 tdi are in a different place,

Many people have put disco 200tdi's in defenders as they are much cheaper,

i imagine this is why your doing this?

i came accross a 90 last year, with a disco 200tdi put in,

someone had taken a sledge hammer to the inner wing to make the turbo fit.

i just had the real deal reconditioned defender 200tdi put in mine :D

All the people that I know that have done this conversion haven't altered any wings or bulkhead. Those that have, have taken the easy route and not planned the job properly.