Total Beginner

JonJon

if the fani s only blowing on one speed the resistor has problably gone.it is an easy job to fix.

even easier is to take the heater hoses off and reverse flush the matrix and the main rad as well and top up with he correct level of antifreeze at same time

if you want more heat there is an uprated heater matrix which fits in original spot and puts out lots more heat,bit of a fiddle to fit and not cheap but a good long term buy if you plan on keeping the motor

Brill! Do you mean take them off and put them back on the other way around, then run the engine for a while, then put back to normal?

If there is no heat at all going through the heater core, then it may be beyond help. Excessive use of Rad Weld or Bars Leak will permanently block a heater matrix. Also oil in the water - as in when a head gasket blows will do the same thing. If the pipes going to and from the matrix are getting hot, then the matrix is blocked. Try reversing the flow and put a cup of Daz/Ariel/Bold/ or similar detergent in the system and see if that cleans it out.

Les.

If there is no heat at all going through the heater core, then it may be beyond help. Excessive use of Rad Weld or Bars Leak will permanently block a heater matrix. Also oil in the water - as in when a head gasket blows will do the same thing. If the pipes going to and from the matrix are getting hot, then the matrix is blocked. Try reversing the flow and put a cup of Daz/Ariel/Bold/ or similar detergent in the system and see if that cleans it out.

Les.

Hello JonJon and welcome.

300tdi's are prone to thermostat failure. As you look at the engine from the front, it's on the upper left side at the front of the engine (follow the rubber hose from the rad). You can remove it and test it, they are cheap to replace. Word of caution, when you refit it, you will need to top it up and the big plastic bolt head above the housing has a reputation for shearing. If buying a new thermostat, buy a new brass version of the bolt as well!

Someone recommended reversing the heater matrix to me as well, although i haven't got around to doing it as mine works ok.

Don't worry too much about the oil, you could jet wash it off underneath and on the drivers side of the engine bay then watch to see where it comes from, keeping an eye on the fluid levels over the follwing week.

Also, take Matt up on his offer, he will save you a lot of hassle and ££'s.

One question, where did you buy it from?

Good luck :D

Hello JonJon and welcome.

One question, where did you buy it from?

Good luck :D

Cheers pb; I got it from a small garage/dealers in the midlands (am I allowed to say?); they've been brilliant and were really helpful, more to the point; I felt I trusted them, and that was worth a lot to us; particularly as (up to now) I've not been very practical (not having a male role model around as a child, that's my excuse, oops; wrong forum . . ) It was handy that 'buyers guide' which came with one of the mags too in oct/nov, just at the right time and saved me buying something shiny but potentially suspect from a lay-by (which I almost did!)

Cheers pb; I got it from a small garage/dealers in the midlands (am I allowed to say?); they've been brilliant and were really helpful, more to the point; I felt I trusted them, and that was worth a lot to us; particularly as (up to now) I've not been very practical (not having a male role model around as a child, that's my excuse, oops; wrong forum . . ) It was handy that 'buyers guide' which came with one of the mags too in oct/nov, just at the right time and saved me buying something shiny but potentially suspect from a lay-by (which I almost did!)

If it's a good thing and you are happy then tell us. It might help other readers of the forum who are looking to decide where to buy from. (Were they just off Jnc 4 of the m5 by any chance?)

It's only when things get a bit tense do people have to avoid naming names incase it goes to legal :D

If it's a good thing and you are happy then tell us. It might help other readers of the forum who are looking to decide where to buy from. (Were they just off Jnc 4 of the m5 by any chance?)

It's only when things get a bit tense do people have to avoid naming names incase it goes to legal :D

No, Liveredge 4x4; they've been cool.

Oh, right oh! I'll add that info to my profile; I'm in North Somerset (Radstock) I was going to look up local clubs this evening too. Cheers!

Damm, a new owner just down the road from me :D. I am just up from Radstock on the Bath road.

I am new here and just starting out trying to find a decent(ish) 90 (at about £3-4k) to start off a project that I have had in mind for years (and it feels like I have been gathering info for just as long).

Growing up I used to help out working on friends Series and early 90's and the time has come to get one for myself. To be honest finding a good truck is turning out to be quite a chore with it seeming like there is an awful lot of junk both in dealers and private markets at the moment at my price. Add to the fact I am really inexperienced with Landies and I feel that I am about to walk into disaster ;).

Anyway, onto the point of my post. Thanks for the good comments about decent dealers. I will add them to my list of places to search.