You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel

JimAttrill

It remembers of me when I lost the same front left wheel last summer...

:rolleyes:

Interesting experience,although I would have preferred to be out there in the "Bots" than in the middle of the town...

Nige, it was posted on the ZA-LRO forum by Hennie with that title. I couldn't resist it. The vehicle is a V8 and he is now saying that his swivel bearings are stuffed and asking how to change them.

Normally you would notice if your wheel nuts are coming loose, but on those corrugated dirt roads you only notice the engine isn't going when it falls out :(

Nige, it was posted on the ZA-LRO forum by Hennie with that title. I couldn't resist it. The vehicle is a V8 and he is now saying that his swivel bearings are stuffed and asking how to change them.

Normally you would notice if your wheel nuts are coming loose, but on those corrugated dirt roads you only notice the engine isn't going when it falls out :(

True enough, I've had worse noises on corrugated roads that have frightened the knickers off me, like a fan cowling on my SII falling off onto the fan in a very remote place :-) You've never seen anyone de-clutch and switch off as fast as I did ! Thought at least a rod through the block ! I sweated a bit until I opened the bonnet and saw what had happened :-)

I hope you won't mind if I just pop down to the garage and check the wheel nuts on my V8.................

Regards,

Brian

Excellent pic Jim!

Reminds me of waiting for the second landrover on one of my expeditions in the Sahara to catch up. After 20 minutes, retraced steps to find a similar scene (no road though) and a 100 metre long groove in the dirt and three guys spread over half a kilometre looking for the nuts! How we laughed!

Same wheel too. Lost wheels due to loose nuts are nearly always on the left side anyway, as the rotation of the wheels helps to vibrate them off. Lots of big trucks have left hand threaded wheel nuts on the left hand wheels for this reason.

Regards, Diff