2007 model defender won't start again

out side asda with all the xmas goodies in the back. thick freezing fog all loaded off we go won't start again

turns over half a turn and jams up tryed loads of times half a turn only

after ringing land rover i try again starts up <_<

any idears

its had a new clutch last week

starter motor us ?

dam thing on call over xmas getting very fed up now

dan

• 2 weeks later...

I've done some googling on this and if you look for Dual Mass Clutch Faults on the Ford Transit you will find no end of information on it, unfortunately it looks like this problem may have also have been inherited by our new Defender's.

Look at the statement on the bootom right of this page.

http://www.autoelectro.co.uk/bulletins/AE%...bulletin-08.pdf

Are there any Transit drivers out there that no (experienced) any more about this issue?

Rich....

I know the later transits were right piles of cr*p made down to a price you wouldn't believe possible. Aparrently later on they even made the brake master cylinder out of plastic :o

Shame really as they're good at churning out reliable stuff until the accountants get involved <_<

Flywheel failure is already a known problem on Puma Defender according to my sources in the know. ;) From your initial description of your fault your dealer knows exactly what's the problem is!

Do you know whether this is an intermittent fault between vehicles or will it happen at some point to all Puma Defender's?

(fingers crossed you dont say it will affect all Puma Defenders)

Also, do you know whether Land Rover are replacing the parts with ones that dont go wrong?

cheers

PS for those that want to know a bit more about DFM (Dual Mass Flywheels) go here:

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/trans/clutchMa...sflywheels.html

A very interesting link. It somehow failed to mention that Dual Mass Flywheels fall to bits quite often, certainly more often than the old clutch driven plates with the springs in. So much for progress (backwards).

And every time you change the clutch plate on a normal (read old-fashioned) car, you get new springs and things.

Once you have had to explain the huge repair bill to a TD5 owner because his modern flywheel fell to bits, one loses faith in modern car design which seems to be in the favour of the manufacturer rather than the poor git who gives them money for a load of old (sorry, new) rubbish.

You'll get a new flywheel fitted under warranty for sure. Whether it's a 'new improved' flywheel design, I doubt it given it's a still a widespread problem on the Transit and has already established itself as a 'problem' on a car that's only been on sale for approx 6-months!

As Jim has said, Dual Mass flywheel failure isn't specific to 07 LR's, but on anything that uses a DMF, be it a LR (Td5), Transit or your regular family saloon/hatchback.

Flywheel failure is already a known problem on Puma Defender according to my sources in the know. ;) From your initial description of your fault your dealer knows exactly what's the problem is!

Kev,

I wouldn't bet on that. "Mine" ( ;) ) hasn't been told anything about it and has just had a look on his GTR and been unable to find anything on there which mentions it at all. Would be interested in more info from your source in the know!

Suddenly? ;)

OK not really that sudden. It's mainly because the "waaaaaah" stories are just starting... bringing back fond memories of Td5 flywheels, 300Tdi timing belts, R380 mainshafts snapping, Td4 fuel pumps, TDV6 turbos and EGR valves, tra la la la la pick your own "first of line F up" from a long and distinguished list throughout history <_<

In fairness I have to say there have been any major problems with the Fraud motors here. Yet.

No major problems here, yet, apart from the driveshaft hitting the sump if you hit a larger than usual bump. And this is a Land Rover? Don't LR employ any engineers any more or is all their type testing done on that so-called 'off-road' course they have at the factory?

Of course their excuse will be that you aren't allowed to drive off-road in the UK any more. They forget there is a big world out there.

No major problems here, yet, apart from the driveshaft hitting the sump if you hit a larger than usual bump. And this is a Land Rover? Don't LR employ any engineers any more or is all their type testing done on that so-called 'off-road' course they have at the factory?

But it only happens on LHD models. All the test fleet were probably RHD models. :lol:

out side asda with all the xmas goodies in the back. thick freezing fog all loaded off we go won't start again

turns over half a turn and jams up tryed loads of times half a turn only

after ringing land rover i try again starts up <_<

any idears

its had a new clutch last week

starter motor us ?

dam thing on call over xmas getting very fed up now

dan

Mine does this when the immobilser cuts in. If you lock the car and wait 20 seconds then unlock it using the remote, it should start first time.

It seems to come in after a delay between unlocking the car and starting her up.

Guess you've already thought about this though, right ?

Of course their excuse will be that you aren't allowed to drive off-road in the UK any more. They forget there is a big world out there.

But it only happens on LHD models. All the test fleet were probably RHD models. :lol:

i Have heard about this and that LR were bringing out a revised sump from Oct 07, but cant remember where i read it. anyone else know anything about it.

Plus does it only effect LHDs? arent the props and sump in the same positions on RHD and LHD.