Disco 200tdi Radio swap

neil00001

Hi all,

Got a question about my radio in my 200tdi, which at the moment is the standard radio with the controls on the dash for volume and search, however my misses has bought me a parrot bluetooth thingymajig, which when you get a call it mutes the radio and uses the radio's speakers to listen to the call.

So can I upgrade to a later LR radio that has the mute cable? using the original iso cables ?

CD player would also be nice...LOL

I am not bothered about keeping the functionality of the buttons on the dash as i would like to change them for my spot lights.....

Thanks,

Have a great Xmas and New Year !!!!

Cheers

should be dead easy, the 300tdi has got standard ISO cables so I presume the 200tdi would have as well, the new radio will come with either an iso socket or an ISO adpater cable.

You will lose the dash buttons but they would be better off as spot light buttons - they are useless for radio controls!

just beware when choosing a stereo, the more expensive brands and higher spec models often have the most wiring out the back of them. Most have an ISO extension lead on them with their own factory plug on the end too.

often a JVC will have no extra leads and the iso plugs will go straight into the back of the unit.

this may sound unimportant but in the 200 especially, space is at a very high premium in the stereo slot. any amount of extra wiring will make fitting a stereo a right pain in the backside.

I personally have an alpine iPod unit in there, and the only way i could get it to fit was to release the centre console, fit it to that, and then refit the centre console.

discojmz Thanks for that, I have already seen what a PITA putting the factory radio back in can be. Any extra wiring will make life most difficult. I expect I will either have to butcher the wiring to get the connectors in or ire it direct.

Thanks all for the info and MERRY XMAS !!!!

Cheers,

Another thing to watch is that Land Rover, in common with the rest of Rover Group, tended to wire the permanent power and ignition switched power the opposite way round to the rest of the world, so check whether yours is correct for the new stereo before you fit it. It's easy to change by just swopping the pins over in the connector.

Well folks it was a total success using the original LR radio, the parrot 3100 had all the connectors ready to plug into the old radio, the only problem i had was getting the radio back into the slot, took out the center console and shuffled things around a bit.

All back together again and does what it says on the tin. Big thumbs up from me!!!

Cheers,

Neil