Vapour Build

gruntus

Ladies and Gentlemen,

What exactly is a vapour build?

I initially thought it was a "from scratch" design and build for a serious off road truck judging by the liberal sprinkling of portal axles and the like.

Then I saw Les' 300Tdi lump and then thought not.

Is it something that is constantly being promised but never arrives?

Can a standard 90 build from the ground up count?

Depending on the answer I may be able to enter however I expect August 2009 as the date for completion...... :blush:

More than happy to promise a payment to the forum.

Cheers

G

It doesn't matter if it's a hybrid or whatever - just that it never appears (or it seems that way)

Alternatively it's a build of such revolutionary and advanced design, executed to the highest standards of enginering principles with absolute attention to the most minutest detail which leads to a slightly increased build time over what most of the impatient buggers on this forum expect.

Mine isn't finished because i'm a lazy ****er

#OR:

Talk of such revolutionary and advanced design, executed to the highest standards of engineering principles with absolute attention to the most minutest detail which leads to a infinite build time over what most of the patient users on this forum expect.

its a state of truck completion where the rate of new ideas/modification is greater than the rate of actual work done, add in the 'waiting all day for parts that never show up because parcelfarce are lazy t**s' factor and the 'rarity of parts/materials' constant and there you have it :)

#OR:

Talk of such revolutionary and advanced design, executed to the highest standards of engineering principles with absolute attention to the most minutest detail which leads to a infinite build time over what most of the patient users on this forum expect.

I'd go with that or possibly "A project that sucks in almost infinite time and money with profound effect on the space time continuum. This means that the project deflects light around it making it seem like there is less progress than there really is." ;)

my vapour build is at the cut down and de bracketed stage, 90 out riggers fitted.This is were th problems start, engine,box,axle combo's are all over the place tdi one day,v8 the next!

the vapour thins , for me anyway :lol: ,when you start to contemplate cutting up the hard graft already done cause someones mentioned portals / 3 links / rear steer!

the vapour builder is usually a legend in his own mind.

You know that many vapour builders to be able to to make that statement then Daan?

I would imagine financial restrictions, time available, unforseen circumstances play a bigger part in it myself.

Oh - and making a pigs ear of it occasionally too!

Les.

Yes, I do. They usually look at your car and think its only so-so; but they are usually building something in their own garage that will put everything else to shame, something this world is just not ready for. Thats then probably why it will stay in the garage forever. :rolleyes:

I am aware of the restrictions on time, money, unforeseen circumstances, but also on restrictions getting bored with it, cant be asked and put it on ebay for pennies. :huh:

You know that many vapour builders to be able to to make that statement then Daan?

I would imagine financial restrictions, time available, unforseen circumstances play a bigger part in it myself.

Oh - and making a pigs ear of it occasionally too!

Les.

I have finally reached a point in my life where I have neither the time, facilities or financial resources to attempt another major, solid, touchable vehicle project, but to keep the grey matter from morphing into a useless lump of jelly I would like to attempt the most ambitious Vapor build to date. Only trouble is that I am fresh out of ideas ! Any suggestions ?

Bill.

its a state of truck completion where the rate of new ideas/modification is greater than the rate of actual work done,

an absolutely perfect description- basically the vapour builders "eyes" are bigger then their "tummy"

at some point (which i reached around 6 months ago) you have to say enough is enough, this is what i'm doing, i'm not taking on any new ideas and i'm going to compromise certain areas in order to get it finished.

an absolutely perfect description- basically the vapour builders "eyes" are bigger then their "tummy"

at some point (which i reached around 6 months ago) you have to say enough is enough, this is what i'm doing, i'm not taking on any new ideas and i'm going to compromise certain areas in order to get it finished.

I got to that point as well. but by thw time I got it running it was old news and I started improve my own build. So here we are 5 years after completion and the grinder and welder are still running flatout.

Does my build count as an offical vapour project? Can I enter the competiton? I've got some (small) parts, and it is all planned, but lacking build space ATM. Completion date set for 1st May '08

Ive got this: Vapour project

And this: Race manifold

And an LT77 gear knob...

I'm about to move in the direction of Swindon (watch out Les and the rest of you 'orrible lot over there) so hopefully should all kick off in the next month or so...

• 1 month later...

Do I qualify for a vapour build? Ive got a Coiled ser 3 88" waiting for an engine transplant... Had to garage it a year ago bec I was more than sure it will fail the VRT (its like the mot)...last summer bought half a 200tdi... yes half, without injector pump, timing case and most of the pipes and fittings!! call me mad...yes I am! :rolleyes:

So I started sourcing parts here and there, mostly off ebay, and now I got most of it here, To make it more interesting I disassembled every bolt and nut from the engine and at the moment its spread in a thousand pieces at the garage.

I must say that on opening it up the engine was found to be in near perfect condition!, Today I took the block for honing, so in the next week I should begin the reassembly...

In the meantime I got inspired by Les Henson seeing the beauty of a rebuild hes doing!

post-4440-1202161152_thumb.jpg

Got more photos if you like to see

Chris

Been reading this topic to get the meaning of vapour build... and it just suits me perfectly I think, it that every single thing i do will take the vapour direction!

Whats that syndrome huh?! Even for a simple service, it takes me a whole afternoon, cleaning here sealing there...oh!!!

At first when i bought the engine I wasnt going to open it up, I thought it looked ok, but on a closer look at the crank I saw that the key way for the pulley was a bit knackered, well just slightly, everyone said leave it, not worth the hassle, but not me!!... so off went the head crank and everything!

Years will pass untill I see my beloved landie on the road again! :unsure:

is this vapour?!

A polished piston crown!!

post-4440-1202162792_thumb.jpg