Vapour Build

gruntus

For gods sake man.

That

• Exists
  • Has had work done to it

I think you have by definition of the above now possibly 'excluded' yourself. :(

Before you squeak and shreak ..........

You may be slow, painfully dreadfully horribly slow, god almost hopeless from a buildup point a view - but ,

you have something tangible :lol:

What you need to do now is either move off and post loads of "What ifs and I am thinking ofs" without doing any more work - if you do then you will disqualify yourself.

If you can maybe in a years time show you have done no more, perhaps even removed things and gone backwards (this is known as "Doing a Warne") then you may survive to procastinate another day

Nige

Come on own up, just how many vapour builds are there on this forum? I know I can't be the only person on here with more than one (or is that just me being greedy?)

I can see us all ending up in therapy at this rate, actually this probably is therapy, I'll start again.

Hello, my name is chris <waits for everybody to mumble "hello chris" back>

I have been suffering from vapour build now for over 18 months. It all started on my 19th birthday when i was given 'how to build a sports car for £250'.......

<cut out 3 years of life, its mostly boring>

...... and then I heard about single link suspension cry2.gif

Come on group hug...

to be fair my projects are not true vapour projects as the do all have something to show for themselves.

yes you're right, but the final project is not finishing off the engine... its rebuilding the series 3...and beleive me, if I'm taking a year to finish the engine, I'll take 3 to finsh the landie!

nah, then its not a vapour mine, I intend to finish it off one day, before my gf decides to burn me in the garage along with all the "oil and rust" (her definiton for a landrover)

In keeping with the topic I hope to have pictures of my rear axle (completely refurbed woohoo!!! :D ) and the front axle (just the swivels to go on) and that will be me officially on the vapour trail!!!

Im not going to say whats next on the list only I hope to have someting as gleaming as Mister Hensons :P

Very very true! :( Those pistons were black as you'd expect from used engine... I read somewhere that polished pistons and combustion cambers stay clean as exhaust wont stick to a polished surface (to be confirmed!) and that a polished surface reflects heat making the engine more efficient ( to be confirmed too!!) So I said, might as well do it, and spent three days of my dear life cleaning and polishing!! At one point I read that coating them with some heat resistant coating improves as well...so I started looking for this coating!! Unbelieveable!!! sometimes I leave myself without words!! :lol: At last I realised that this is a rough 18 year old truck engine, not a rocket engine, so I decided that polishing should be enough! probably useless but anyway, good to look at! Lemme ask a quick question, does porting a tdi head make sense? or it falls in the same class of maddnes like polishing the crowns?! :P

post-4440-1202233045_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...

So I found myself saying "vapour build" whilst talking about [another] classic car fantasy I'm having, in my upcoming youtube episode. So I Googled it because I was all of a sudden very aware that I'd no idea where I'd picked up the phrase. The only car related mention I found was here :D

Is it really a LR4x4 coinage!?

Vapourware rings a bell too! Google produces only a lot of electronic cigarette hits for "vapour build" search, which kind of makes sense. LR4x4 comes up on the first page amongst them.

It's a nice phrase. I'm taking it back.

Edited by Shackleton

well having read this thread (for the second time, having no recollection of it from '08) I have a slightly different understanding. To me it's about a dream build, regardless of attainability, and not necessarily far fetched. Or the formulation of same in your head, whether it's followed through or not.

lol! I have you beat there, I have them weekly and I tell myself that I mean it every time. Anyone else got folders on the computer full of model specific accessories and car inspiration that would make up whatever vapour fad was on at any given moment? I've only ever followed through on one, but I'm just getting started ;)

What the flavour at the moment Mike?

Off road caravan.... due to some interesting circumstances I'm selling a lot of our camping gear to go the caravan route. However caravans are hateful, flimsy and generally don't tow that well. So once we have established a caravan will work for us in feel a build coming on. Mind I do need to shift so other projects first.

Mike

There are some amazing offroad caravans out there, not that you necessarily need one but they tend to be a more practical size and shape for towing and far sturdier. Can't think of the name of the last one that impressed me but I'm sure you've been looking at them anyway. Always fancied building a small wooden teardrop caravan, but I never have because I doubt I'd use it. Something like this...

vintage-teardrop-trailer.jpg

• 5 years later...
5 hours ago, muzaz said:

It's a vapour build no more 🙃

15 years it waited collecting dust and rust....in the meantime I moved out of my parent's house, got married, had a kid, sold the series 3 and forgot all about the engine. Until the bug bit me again, got an old Nintey with a tired 12J this winter. Then I remembered! I had an engine - well a pile of parts actually- the vapour build!

There she is, a vapour build no more!

20221206_095533.thumb.jpg.ae0f1974167295d16b014d9710fe7d1c.jpg

20221206_143827.thumb.jpg.9e8e7820c6ec75993e20108883c0d609.jpg

20230106_101946.thumb.jpg.87fd91378dcd9bb4d1605fbdf7481c3b.jpg

20230206_133820.thumb.jpg.5b943a7f70d5739ea3f505df9823f108.jpg

20230215_185955.thumb.jpg.073aac521408fd786823d72cb2770758.jpg

That is a fine looking piece of vapour...

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

What's the mill? I only ask because it looks very similar to my Warco WM16 and I did wonder if it would be feasible to stick a cylinder head on it for light fettling... not that I'd trust myself not to trash it somehow!

Close!, It's a WM18, with some out of the box thinking, it was just the right size for the tdi head. The table traverse on your WM16 will be a bit short I'm afraid. 

Taking light cuts and with power feed it came out nice and flat.

20230106_110257.thumb.jpg.ff86a1df4516077c053db67342dbc308.jpg

Edited by muzaz
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, muzaz said:

Close!, It's a WM18, with some out of the box thinking, it was just the right size for the tdi head. The table traverse on your WM16 will be a bit short I'm afraid. 

Taking light cuts and with power feed it came out nice and flat.

Think you've got 80mm more traverse than me, wonder if a V8 head is shorter?

It did indeed come out lovely, you should be well pleased with that finish!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd suspect not, give the water passages at either end, but that's without waving a tape about.

37 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

It did indeed come out lovely, you should be well pleased with that finish!

Thanks! Yep, the finish came out pretty decent, it was the first head I ever done and the largest slab of metal to go on the mill. But it machined nicely... with a sharp carbide insert for alu and a beefy fly cutter and very shallow cuts as the mill is not renown for its rigidity.

My guess is the v8 would be roughly the same size. The bore of a tdi is 90mm, the v8 88mm to 94mm according to wiki.