Hub Seal Part Number required

gruntus

Gents,

I ordered up all the parts necassary from Paddocks to refurb the RR rear axle (K plate Vogue with ABS) that will go onto my 90.

I have just fitted the two bearing races, packed the bearings with grease and now ready to fit the inner bearing to the hub and locate on the stub axle.

However.....

.... the hub seal I ordered from Paddocks is definately too small to fit and when compared to the old one.

The outside diameter is smaller and looks like it could fit in the bearing race recess rather than the one the seal should sit in.

The part I ordered from Paddocks is listed as FRC8222 but the number on the packet MR 874 doesn't relate to this as I assume it's one of their own internal refreance numbers.

Anyhow, I will now go direct to the dealers to get the hub seal and wondered if any of you kind chaps could help confirm the correct part number?

Thanks in advance.

G :)

Gents,

I ordered up all the parts necassary from Paddocks to refurb the RR rear axle (K plate Vogue with ABS) that will go onto my 90.

I have just fitted the two bearing races, packed the bearings with grease and now ready to fit the inner bearing to the hub and locate on the stub axle.

However.....

.... the hub seal I ordered from Paddocks is definately too small to fit and when compared to the old one.

The outside diameter is smaller and looks like it could fit in the bearing race recess rather than the one the seal should sit in.

The part I ordered from Paddocks is listed as FRC8222 but the number on the packet MR 874 doesn't relate to this as I assume it's one of their own internal refreance numbers.

Anyhow, I will now go direct to the dealers to get the hub seal and wondered if any of you kind chaps could help confirm the correct part number?

Thanks in advance.

G :)

Hi,

My Microcat shows FRC8222 as being a FRONT hub OUTER seal for your age of RR.

I reckon you need FTC2783 (which supercedes to FTC4785) for you axle. That will be the REAR, INNER oil seal for your axle.

Anyone else willing to confirm these in case I've made a boo-boo as I'm not a RR man?!!!.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Scrumps

FRC8222 is a "Seal Assembly Front/Rear Hub, Outer" for NON ABS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the seal your replacing is the seal in the hub assembly, right, not the half shaft seal. The seal that they should have sent you, if you are replacing the rear hub seal is FRC 8221.

Todd.

I thought that the oil seal was removed from the later rear axles so that the wheel bearings run in axle / diff oil instead of grease and last longer?

The nas has the rear axle ep90 oil lubricating the wheel bearings and on the front the ep90 oil in the swivels lubricates the front wheel bearings. MY 1995 on N plate so not too far different.

However, if you are off-roading frequently, or close to water frequently, it can be a PITA because you need to change the axle oil on the rear much more frequently due to water in the oil and the wheel bearings do not like water lubrication! Yesterday I changed all the axle and swivel oils in the nas after only the second wet trip to Wales since early November and there was definite evidence of water. You might consider using the seals and sticking with grease in the rear wheel bearings.

FRC8222 is a "Seal Assembly Front/Rear Hub, Outer" for NON ABS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the seal your replacing is the seal in the hub assembly, right, not the half shaft seal. The seal that they should have sent you, if you are replacing the rear hub seal is FRC 8221.

Todd.

Todd,

I think you are wrong!!!

My Microcat shows FRC8221 as only applicable up to VIN HA610293. That would be vehicles up to '91.

The original post says that the axle is an ABS one off a K plate vehicle (ie, '92/93 or JA model year) I reckon my original call of FTC 4785 is correct.

Scrumps

Todd,

I think you are wrong!!!

My Microcat shows FRC8221 as only applicable up to VIN HA610293. That would be vehicles up to '91.

The original post says that the axle is an ABS one off a K plate vehicle (ie, '92/93 or JA model year) I reckon my original call of FTC 4785 is correct.

Scrumps

Sorry Scrumps,

I have no idea what year a K plate is, I'm over in Sweden.

I assumed it was an early RRC, so that what I checked for in Microcat.

........Checking again using the right years, I do agree, FTC 2783 as mentioned above by Scrumps.

Todd.

Thanks for your help chaps,

I may go to the dealership for this one.

I can confirm the seal isn't the one inside the stub axle (half shaft seal) but is the seal between the bearings and the stub axle flange (keeps the carp out of the bearings).

I have to admit to being completely dissapointed in Ralph though :( ............ :D:D:D

Thanks again guys.

Cheers :)

G

From memory FRC8222 is the outboard seal which is often discarded to allow oil fed bearings. FTC4785 is the inboard seal for this age of vehicle, but I would replace with RTC3511 as fitted to earlier vehicles as it is a better seal. Don't use carp quality seals unless you want to do the job again, soon. I prefer to use Corteco seals.

right, from VIN JA610294 EPC shows FTC2783 but says NLA but does give a alternative for the rear hub inner seal which is FTC4785 try that :D

I totally agree...as this is what I've been trying to say since this thread started!!!!!

Happy New Year (does it arrive later in Cornwall than Somerset?)

Scrumps

Scrumps,

I find your enthusiasm outstanding (1am new years morn!) :D

I took the opportunity to go to the dealership yesterday (finished work early) to get the said part FTC4785, I got them to confirm the part number before doing the 90 mile round trip. Even sadder I was out in the garage fitting them till 19:30 last night.... :blush:

Mark90, the guy in the dealership said that the FTC4785 was an improved version and shouldn't leak at all (I will take his word for that!). He said that the oil seals for LR of that period (early discos, defenders and RRC) have always been a nightmare and could almost be seen as a yearly service item. I had to admire his honesty. We will find out in two years time when my vapour build finally gets on the road. ;)

Ralph, Thanks again for coming up with the goods. Another quick question for you buddy, I noticed that the January LRM (page 192) had a mention of a certain WESTERN from landroveraddict covering 400,000 miles on their Station Wagon. Is that you?

Thanks for your help guys and all the best for the New Year.

Cheers

Grant :)

Ralph, Thanks again for coming up with the goods. Another quick question for you buddy, I noticed that the January LRM (page 192) had a mention of a certain WESTERN from landroveraddict covering 400,000 miles on their Station Wagon. Is that you?

Yes that'll be my 110, not quite at 400thou. yet but won't be long before it clicks over, as of now it's 396,399 :D another 240 odd adding later when I drive back home to Cornwall :D

CAN I JUST GRAB YOUR ATTENTION BEFORE YOU ALL LEAVE....THX.

i have been having silimiar woes with my disco 200 tdi.i was also changing oil seals and bolting it back together until late last night...(after finding my rear nearside wheel and brakes covered in oil 3 days ago)

the only trouble is...it was'nt until i had bolted it all back tgether again that i realized that i had changed the wrong seal.....not having too much experience with land rovers i did'nt realise that there was another seal behind the stub axle until i was browsing the haynes manual later and looked at a cross section diagram of the rear axle.....so today i spent a few hours draining the oil and stripping the hub assembly and finally removing the offending oil seal......after reading this post am i correct in thinking that this inner stub axle seal has been discarded by some people to allow oil from the axle to flow to the bearings...? leaving just the outer dust seal to keep the oil in?.or does this not apply to the disco..nick.

l......after reading this post am i correct in thinking that this inner stub axle seal has been discarded by some people to allow oil from the axle to flow to the bearings...? leaving just the outer dust seal to keep the oil in?.or does this not apply to the disco..nick.

Yep many find letting the ep90 help lub the wheel bearings helps extend their life (applies to all 90, RR, Disco,).

is'n that a bit risky relying on the standard outer seal that comes with the bearing kit. especially as it's not designed as an oil seal......also, if oil gets past that seal it drips down the inside of the disc and then onto the disc itself. or is there a replacement?

If it starts to fail yes it will show signs of leakage much sooner than if the hub was filled with grease. Spotting this and changing the seal may be preferable (and cheaper to fix) than being unaware you've got water into the hub and the wheel bearings are now running in grease/rust and liable to seize or break up on you. RTC3511 is the common recommendation.