Stuck in 4wd

mattwhitfield

Hey folks

Need a little bit of advice,

I've bought my first series 3 and I'm in love lol. The only problem is it seems to be stuck in 4wd (the yellow knob is always depressed) is this a common fault?

I've selected high range then low range then high range again and the yellow knob doesn't move.

The top end speed is only 44 MPH is this cause its in 4wd? I know these aren't gonna be as fast as my old disco but I has hoping for about 55, down hill or off a cliff maybe 60?

Any advice please.

Matt.

Hey folks

Need a little bit of advice,

I've bought my first series 3 and I'm in love lol. The only problem is it seems to be stuck in 4wd (the yellow knob is always depressed) is this a common fault?

I've selected high range then low range then high range again and the yellow knob doesn't move.

The top end speed is only 44 MPH is this cause its in 4wd? I know these aren't gonna be as fast as my old disco but I has hoping for about 55, down hill or off a cliff maybe 60?

Any advice please.

Matt.

I have a silly question really:

Does it have the body cover over the gearbox and does this have the Spring and spring holder in place under the yello knob? And if these are in place it is still not disengaging when pulling the red lever back and forward again?

I have a silly question really:

Does it have the body cover over the gearbox and does this have the Spring and spring holder in place under the yello knob? And if these are in place it is still not disengaging when pulling the red lever back and forward again?

Yes it has a cover over the gearbox and there is a spring under the yellow knob. When I push the yellow knob down it just springs back up again. should the yellow knob be more or less flush with the gearbox cover when depressed? I've tried pulling it up but it feels as if it's at its full height but it wont stay down when depressed.

Sorry guys I've only ever driven discos before so the series is a bit of a new animal.

Red lever forward - yellow knob up - high range 2WD

Red lever forward - yellow knob down - high range 4WD

Red lever back - low range 4WD - This is also needed to change out of high range 2WD

The yellow knob position for High range 4WD is usually with the spring below it nearly fully compressed.

If you have tried this with the red lever fully forward, and it has sprung back up again, there is probably carp inside the tin plate cover over the sliding rod on the front of the transfer box.

I THINK you have to take the drivers floor plate out for access but can't remember.

Long time since I had a series 3. :-)

Good luck

If they yellow knob won't stay down it's not stuck in 4WD it's stuck in 2WD - I hate to ask this but do you know how the Series knobs work?

Not true. If the bolt has broken that the linkage pivots on, you will be stuck in 4WD and the yellow knob will be UP. I have had this happen and so has a friend of mine on his '59.

If they yellow knob won't stay down it's not stuck in 4WD it's stuck in 2WD - I hate to ask this but do you know how the Series knobs work?

I've only ever driven discos off road and never even been in a series vehicle until I bought this one, I asked my mate who's a mechanic to have a look at it and he said its stuck in 4wd and I've also had the wheels off the ground while off roading and when I accelerate the wheels spin both front and back while in high range.

So what was the outcome?

sorry guys not had time to wipe it let alone sit on it, my mate said it must be stuck in diff lock not just 4wd we came to this conclusion after we put some discovery 5 spoke alloys (freestyle i think there called off a 300 tdi anyway) with 265 75 16 grizzly claw tyres on, we only put the front 2 on and took it for a safety run, the landy was bunny hopping and he said the diff is winding its self up because the front tyres were bigger than the back ones so the diff is constantly trying to counter act due to the tyre size difference? I just nodded and smiled. He's asked me to get a blown up picture of the transmission and diff so he can see what it should look like. Is there any sites that'll let you print them off or should I just stop being a tight a**e and buy a workshop manual lol.

Cheers for all the replies guys

matt

A landy owner with no workshop manual?

You have either been doing it way too long and don't need one, or you need one ;)

I don't touch the oily bits my mech mate wont let me, I brake it he fixes it thats the rules. I didn't want to offend him by turning up with a manal, in the many years I've known him i've never seen him use one but he wants one for this job. Sounds like its gonna be an expensive fix lol.

To be honest, if you have a manual, just reading it will mean you understand what your mate says about a certain bit.... would help I suspect ;)

Like others here are saying, it could well just be the linkage, rather than the actual box going AWOL, so rather than being expensive, I think your mate just needs to know where things are supposed to be, and what is missing.

I don't *need* a manual for most mechanical work, but when you need torque settings and are trying to piece something back together which has fallen apart, sometimes the odd picture or exploded diagram solves your problem in minutes rather than hours.

Every car I have ever owned, I have bought a Haynes for, or been given one, or have sourced a pukka original workshop manual, either on CD or book form..... more to learn about how different manufacturers do different things -it might fill my brain with SOME worthless information, but a lot of it *IS* useful, and can help at flash diagnosing a fault should one occur......

Get a manual, you know it makes sense ;)

Bowie.

P.s. don't EVER drive it like that again, 2 small wheels, 2 large, if you transfer box isn't already broken, it will be pretty soon! as well as you UJ's, Diffs etc.... get it working right first, then start bolting the goodies onto it.

there is no centre diff in a series landrover, its either in 4wd or not. if its not the linkage then its the sliding dog stuck inside the front output housing. its probably been left standing in 4wd and siezed inside.